Your thoughts on power conditioning

PsychoZX

What is your position on power conditioning?  

1. 1. What is your position on power conditioning?

• It makes a huge difference.
    • It makes small but noticeable improvements.
    • It does nothing to the SQ of a system.
    • It hurts the SQ of a system.
    • I don't know.
    • Other (please specify).

I recently added a monster power conditioner to my system and I was rather surprised at the results. (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168069) I wasn't expecting much if any improvements as I purchased the power conditioner mostly on impulse. It made more difference in my system than I've ever gotten from swaping out ICs or changing tubes (although my hybrid isn't all that responsive to tube changes). I am curious to hear others thoughts about power conditioning.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my running springs haley actually cleaned up the sound and improved dynamics, very nice.

Running Springs makes some awesome power conditioners, some say they are some of the best in the world.

I live in a 55 year old co-op garden apartment w/2 wire. I had hum coming from every component with a mid to large transformer. I had to ground lift everything (not so cool in case of emergency). About 4 years ago, I bought an Audio Prism Power Generation III which had all 3 of their conditioning processes. It didn't stop the hum, but it definitely made a difference in black background and and consistent sound between prime time and the wee hours of the morning. They since went out of business.

I decided (after reading many reviews on Audiogon) to try a PS Audio P500 which is a conditioner and a power regenerator. It knocks your wall voltage down to a DC signal, filters it a bunch of times and then creates it's own oscillating AC output. It is impervious to what is coming out of your wall. It comes (like all PS Audio products) with a 30 day guarantee.

This purchase is without a doubt the best tweak I have ever bought. It is pricey, but it eliminated all of my hums and improved the output of every component I own. The difference is startling. I guess having consistant power supplied to your PS and transformer enables the component to do what it was made to do, without trying to keep up with an inconsistent input signal. (Sort of on the same lines of vibration control).

It's worth every penny. Please note- If you live in a home which has good power and all you need is power conditioning and surge protection then this component is overkill. But if you have old lousy power then it's worth it's weight in gold.

Running Springs makes some awesome power conditioners, some say they are some of the best in the world.

I live in a 55 year old co-op garden apartment w/2 wire. I had hum coming from every component with a mid to large transformer. I had to ground lift everything (not so cool in case of emergency). About 4 years ago, I bought an Audio Prism Power Generation III which had all 3 of their conditioning processes. It didn't stop the hum, but it definitely made a difference in black background and and consistent sound between prime time and the wee hours of the morning. They since went out of business.

I decided (after reading many reviews on Audiogon) to try a PS Audio P500 which is a conditioner and a power regenerator. It knocks your wall voltage down to a DC signal, filters it a bunch of times and then creates it's own oscillating AC output. It is impervious to what is coming out of your wall. It comes (like all PS Audio products) with a 30 day guarantee.

This purchase is without a doubt the best tweak I have ever bought. It is pricey, but it eliminated all of my hums and improved the output of every component I own. The difference is startling. I guess having consistant power supplied to your PS and transformer enables the component to do what it was made to do, without trying to keep up with an inconsistent input signal. (Sort of on the same lines of vibration control).

It's worth every penny. Please note- If you live in a home which has good power and all you need is power conditioning and surge protection then this component is overkill. But if you have old lousy power then it's worth it's weight in gold.

the good thing about the haley is its totally passive. no wasted heat and crazy electric bills.

Well as far as power conditioning (I use power regeneration now from PS Audio) it dose make small noticeable improvement but many of them you lose dynamics as it adds impedance on the AC.The ones I've used in the past are PowerWege,Marigo Apparition,Change lightspeed and PS Audio Ultimate Outlet which didn't lose the dynamics in the sound, havn't really ben keeping up with power conditioners since I went to power regeneration which is clearly better, and specially when two are used in a system one for front-end components an other for preamp and amps,this gives superb AC isolation an is specially good when you have digital components, makes a heck of a difference in sound!

I don't hear a negative difference, only positive with the P500. But based on what people say about the added impedence causing a loss indynamics power conditioners, shouldn't that be the case with power regenerators also? They to, have a great deal of power conditioning going on.

Maybe because the regeneration occurs after the filtering, this wouldn't be the case. The way I understand it...the PS Audio approach is to take the AC and convert it to DC and then go through 3 stages of filtering, and then it gets regenerated to an oscillating sine wave.

I don't hear a negative difference, only positive with the P500. But based on what people say about the added impedence causing a loss indynamics power conditioners, shouldn't that be the case with power regenerators also? They to, have a great deal of power conditioning going on.

Maybe because the regeneration occurs after the filtering, this wouldn't be the case. The way I understand it...the PS Audio approach is to take the AC and convert it to DC and then go through 3 stages of filtering, and then it gets regenerated to an oscillating sine wave.

headphone amps don't really draw a lot of power so i guess we don't have to worry about power conditioners sucking the life out of the music. the lavry for example only draws like 12W or so, however power conditioning and power cords still make a difference to the sound IMHO.

Same hear! I only hear positives with my p500 and p300 as these power plants is basicaly a stereo amp that has an oscillator signal going on it's inputs and providing balanced AC at it's outputs,so it has large power reserves (capacitors) that make up a lot for dynamics and a stereo amp must have low impedance to drive speakers. the UltimateOutlet uses a Balun with both lines run into it and looped around so it can not impose much impedance on the lines.

its pretty easy to make a DIY hydra for like like 150 or so. 125 for a high quality BPT power strip, and maybe 15 bucks for some ac caps. or if you guys wanna go all out, get some ERS cloth, oyaide outlets and some good caps.

as far as i can tell the power cord between the wall and the power conditioner won't make a lot of difference so you can put a cheaper cord like an ebay zu over there without messing up the sound.

I use a running springs audio haley and a PS Audio P300. both seem to have minor improvements usually, although it isn't the main reason I use them. nowadays the P300's main job is to run my source at 100 volts (using my Japanese market Accuphase in the US so might as well run it at spec if I can), and the haley pretty much is an elaborate power distributor to match the looks and class of the rest of the gear. :P

about the only thing I run without power conditioning is the SDS-XLR which sounds best without using a P300 or haley in between, and Iunplug it when I'm not using it. cut down on risks a bit.

about the only thing I run without power conditioning is the SDS-XLR which sounds best without using a P300 or haley in between, and Iunplug it when I'm not using it. cut down on risks a bit.

What differences do you notice powering the SDS-XLR both with and without the P300?

I power my SDS-XLR with a P600