Review: McDonalds Fruit & Walnut Salad

justin

486337480_a0359b661b_m.jpg

This has to be the best thing on the McDonalds menu, and also the only thing that probably won't lead to an early death. What you have is a reasonably sized small meal or snack (about 300 calories, similar to a large bowl of cereal) consisting of sliced apples which have been dipped in some preservative to keep their color and crunchiness, salted or sweetened walnuts, and a vanilla yogurt. I like to dip the apple slice in the yogurt, then stick a walnut on top of it, then eat it. It's a good combination. Also, each fruit & walnut salad is wrapped in plastic so you can stock up and keep them in your fridge. Hard to beat at $1.90 each (offer not valid in AK or HI)

Most likely McDonalds will decide this food is too healthy and remove it from their menu. Overall, I give it a 9/10. The only thing it could use is a little more walnut

wikipedia says..

The ingredients are seedless grapes, apple slices, candied walnuts and low-fat vanilla yogurt. Including the walnuts, it has 330 calories. The apple slices are dipped in the preservative calcium ascorbate, a compound of calcium and vitamin C, in order to keep them crisp and prevent them losing color and flavor.

crap i forgot the grapes in my review :(

I really dig that -- have it all the time.

who knows what additives and chemicals etc they put into their shit...?
Sugar (or rather: corn syrup) and formaldehyde. Nom nom nom nom...

PS I'm full of shit -- didn't read Justin's wikipedia entry.

I wonder what's in the dip? It tastes too sweet to only be yogurt. And the nuts are covered in something (aerius, please refrain from your "dried K-Y jelly" joke that I see coming)...

it's really good! seriously, i just had one. the apples were crispy and tart, grapes plump, firm and juicy, nuts crunchy and sweet, and the yogurt creamy, smooth and not too sweet.

(i've had it before, yet it's been many moons since i've been to mcdonalds.)

they do go a little far on the sugar -- although at only 25g, that's about half of what's in a coke, so not too bad. it's sweet enough with the apples and yogurt, there's no need for the sugar on the walnuts. therefore it might be better to mod this and supply your own nuts