Tokyo Olympics

Augsburger

6 hours ago, Augsburger said:

Lee is awesome! One of the friendliest and most humble fencers, and a Notre Dame grad too.

Congrats indeed!

I watched her highlights with the kids tonight and they thought it was a cool sport. Was figuring you were pretty psyched to see the US medal (gold no less).

Woohoo! Lance's former coaches helped their fencers win gold and bronze in Men's foil. Both of the fencers, Alex and Cheung have trained with Lance at the club and been over to the house for BBQ dinners prior to Covid happening. I firmly believe my tritip had a play in those results.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well astonishingly we won three golds today.

First Adam Peaty in the 100m breaststroke. Then Tom Pidcock won in the cross country cycling; 1h 25m on an insanely difficult course in baking heat and humidity. That is the first medal of any colour we've won in that event. Then Tom Daley and Matt Lee won in the synchronised diving. So our little Island is currently fourth in the medal table. Woohoo!

• Like 5

When Simone Biles lost the ability to orientate in 3 dimensions, I compared it to opera singers who forget how to sing (they do). They, like Biles, have to go back to basics and work through the problem.

There was a shot of her in training during recent days - and trying to do a landing from the parallel bars - and landing on her face. But she worked it out enough to do a superb beam exercise, and got a probably the best bronze medal for overcoming adversity.

Hats off to the woman!

• Like 5

I know my mind shouldn’t immediately go to Blazing Saddles, but wow… 

German pentathlon coach thrown out for punching horse https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58127366 

Edit: I wonder what the decision tree of criticism would be on this one? 🥴

Edited by blessingx
  • Angry 1

Kipchoge just won the mens Olympic marathon by 1 minute 20 seconds in 2h8m38s. He put in a 5k split of just over 14 minutes and ripped the legs off everyone else. When he finished he looked as if he had been for a Saturday morning jog. But in nearly 30C and 80% humidity.

For anyone who has not come across this guy, in 2018 with pacemakers he did an exhibition marathon in Vienna and went inside 2 hours. First human to average faster than 4m35s a mile for 26.2 miles!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

Utterly insane. I couldn't average 4m35s pace for 100 meters. 🥵

Yup. Me neither.

To put that sub 2 hour exhibition marathon into context - that is equivalent 102 laps of a running track at 70 seconds a lap. I'm a lifetime runner, but even when I was less than half the age I am now, I could just beat 70 seconds on a single lap and then be on my knees.

• Like 1

The first runner in our silver medal GB 4x100m sprint team, Ujah, has tested positive for two banned performance enhancement substances. The whole team loses their silver medals, and forfeits any other benefits such as appearance money. That will be a lifetime ban for the fucker - and that is absolutely right.

The question I want to be asked, is what did GB sport, and the British Olympic Association fail to do? Surely they test athletes on a regular basis as part of the selection process?

I am so fucking angry. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58205602 

• Sad 3
  • Angry 2