Tip of 1/4" headphone cable plug broke off inside a locking Neutrik jack

jpelg

The end of a headphone plug broke off in one of my headphone amps that has a locking Neutrik 1/4" headphone jack. I tried the straw trick, and even the screw trick (gently), all to no avail. Considering the glue/heat trick.

Am I fucked (and not in a good way), or is there another technique I should consider trying to get the piece out?

Any inputs are appreciated. TIA.

I dunno what those other tricks are as I've never had one break inside the jack, but the back of the locking jack is open so if there's room to get to it from inside the amp you can just push on the end of the broken plug with something while holding the release tab down.

• Like 3

I took a look at various product images (which refuse to be attached to this post thanks to my nonsense work network) and you should be able to press it out as Fitz suggests.  I'm sure it'll take some messing about but looks like it should be a recoverable failure.  Worse case, let us know what amp it is and we can look at how hard it'd be to replace the whole headphone jack.  

• Like 2

The locking jacks can be partially disassembled to make it even easier to get the broken piece out, but it's real easy to lose the spring for the locking tab so I'd save that for a last resort before completely replacing it if that was necessary. It wasn't too hard to push a (non-broken) jack out from behind with a screwdriver when I tested it before posting.

It'd even be possible to push it out the back from the front (the opening is big enough), but unless it's broken right at the tip, the locking tab will probably fight you on that.

y5Hchkv.jpg

• Like 1