Jump to content

Audeze CRBN


ilikebananafudge
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, TMoney said:

Some great choices!

Out of curiosity, are there five non-stats you like above the other dynamics you've heard?

I would love to know as well! I recently found out that there are some electrostats that I love and some that I hate, and that electrostats aren't necessarily the only thing I'm looking for. I'm still looking for top tier end game stuff - whichever category it ends up under. Since black Friday is nearing, Im tempted to order the Hedd and a Raal headphones to contrast against some of the top electrostatic stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, plaurids said:

If you port mod an SZ2-serial number SR-007A (say), where would it fit on that list? 😁

Also, thanks for the feedback on the ECC99!

Regarding sources... Have you tried it with the RME ADI-2 DAC?

What age is that?  Stax used the SZ2 for the initial release in Japan and they are using SZ2 for sets shipping now.  Special type of bad behavior there....

I didn't like the RME at all. 

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

Some great choices!

Out of curiosity, are there five non-stats you like above the other dynamics you've heard?

For me most dynamics are just a disappointment so I tend to just leave them alone.  The few that stand out over the years are the HD800 (once properly driven), Audeze LCD 2 and 3...  can't remember any more off the top of my head.  I've tried plenty over the years but none worked for me, Abyss, the hifiman crap, Mr. Speakers etc. 

Edited by spritzer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spritzer said:

What age is that?  Stax used the SZ2 for the initial release in Japan and they are using SZ2 for sets shipping now.  Special type of bad behavior there....

"Bad behavior" for which SZ2's, the old ones or the new ones? Mine's (for instance) serial number is SZ2-1636, got it used in the beginning of this year. Seller didn't buy it new either - I had to replace the headpad's elastic band since it was worn out, otherwise the unit is in fine shape. I reckon it's not very recent, but I may be mistaken...

I did the port mod because the stock frequency response was somewhat wonky (bass a bit out of control, depressed upper mids), but that was before I did the CCS mod on my energizer. I've covered the Blu-tac filling the driver ports with a fine tape because it was sticking to the pads. The port mod evened out the frequency response and made the cans quite a bit more enjoyable.

Edited by plaurids
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, spritzer said:

I didn't like the RME at all.

I understand people complain particularly about its soundstage, which is indeed not very deep, but I like it - I use it connected via XLR (balanced) to my SRM-T1S. With the SR-007A it feels very intimate, as if I were standing where the microphones are. It also serves as a very good IEM source (it works great with my Moondrop Blessing 2 using Spinfit eartips and Dunu Blanche cable) when for some reason I cannot use the SR-007A (e.g. when my hair is wet). I was able to get some (admittedly minor) improvements using iFi's DC iPurifier to clean the power source and the Oyaide Continental USB cable instead of stock. I haven't tried its parametric EQ yet - haven't felt the need for it.

I may get the Denafrips Ares II or the Chord Qutest in addition to the RME ADI-2 DAC in the future to get a different flavor of DAC. Wondering how these would sound with the CRBN...

Edited by plaurids
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, spritzer said:

What age is that?  Stax used the SZ2 for the initial release in Japan and they are using SZ2 for sets shipping now.  Special type of bad behavior there....

I didn't like the RME at all. 

For me most dynamics are just a disappointment so I tend to just leave them alone.  The few that stand out over the years are the HD800 (once properly driven), Audeze LCD 2 and 3...  can't remember any more off the top of my head.  I've tried plenty over the years but none worked for me, Abyss, the hifiman crap, Mr. Speakers etc. 

I remember years ago you thought the Joseph Grado hp-1000 was good.. another one that's been out of production for 30 years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, plaurids said:

"Bad behavior" for which SZ2's, the old ones or the new ones? Mine's (for instance) serial number is SZ2-1636, got it used in the beginning of this year. Seller didn't buy it new either - I had to replace the headpad's elastic band since it was worn out, otherwise the unit is in fine shape. I reckon it's not very recent, but I may be mistaken...

I did the port mod because the stock frequency response was somewhat wonky (bass a bit out of control, depressed upper mids), but that was before I did the CCS mod on my energizer. I've covered the Blu-tac filling the driver ports with a fine tape because it was sticking to the pads. The port mod evened out the frequency response and made the cans quite a bit more enjoyable.

Stax being annoying using the same serial number range 14 years apart.  That set might be from the initial 2007-2009 production

4 hours ago, TammerDown said:

I remember years ago you thought the Joseph Grado hp-1000 was good.. another one that's been out of production for 30 years

It's been so long since I tried them but yeah, I liked the HP-1000 back in the day but the Stax SR-X Mk3 Pro's blow them out of the water being the same design idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, spritzer said:

Stax being annoying using the same serial number range 14 years apart.  That set might be from the initial 2007-2009 production

That's what I thought, judging from my research in these forums... But maybe I wasn't clear enough in my question: which of the two SZ2 batches of SR-007A's are affected by this "bad behavior" (I do know there is an SZ3 range of serial numbers in between), and what would that "bad behavior" be? Does the port mod help? Thanks!

Edited by plaurids
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, spritzer said:

The bad behavior was Stax using the serial numbers, nothing to do with the sound.  :)

Ah, ok. Now, going back to my original question (duly qualified)... where would the first batch (production year 2007-2009) of SZ2 Stax SR-007A's fit in your top 5 list (if at all, possibly with the port mod)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, plaurids said:

Ah, ok. Now, going back to my original question (duly qualified)... where would the first batch (production year 2007-2009) of SZ2 Stax SR-007A's fit in your top 5 list (if at all, possibly with the port mod)?

Those always sound a bit off (not as bad as the Mk2.5 units but still) so they are further down the list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an early 007 Mk2 from that batch and I thought the midrange on it had some of the same issues that plagued the SR-404 and other Lambdas from that series. But I wonder if that's fixable with EQ. The L700 responds really well to EQ in the mids. But, I sold it and then got the Mk1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a transition at some point in probably 2009 (though it could be earlier) that I noticed with the sets at Canjam '10.  The midrange had this etch to it which nothing I could do to alleviate.   The first sets of the Mk2 did not have that and when I finally bought another set of Mk2's in 2014 (or '13... can't remember) it was gone. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2021 at 6:00 AM, catscratch said:

I bought mine in 2007 or 2008, I don't remember, but I also didn't port mod it. So that might have helped fix the issues too. I did port mod my current 007A and yes, it makes a huge difference.

Also my impression. My SZ2 007A had this odd "boom" in the bass and a depressed response in the upper mids at stock config, problems which were both fixed with the port mod.

Anyhow, the 007 is pretty hard to find here in Brazil - Edifier (who currently owns Stax) started selling Stax products officially here this year, but their prices are just insane and they haven't brought the whole Stax lineup yet (they are selling the 009S and some Lambdas). Particularly, no 007's are being sold (edit - November 11th 2021: I stand corrected - they've just started selling the SR-007 Mk II). I found mine used by chance at a great price, in retrospect it was a minor miracle. Unfortunately, it also means that I cannot just sell it and look for a better set - Brazilian custom taxes are no joke and the current USD-BRL exchange rate is not quite favorable right now, both of with make buying even an used 007 abroad beyond my current means -, so I have to make the best out of what I have. That's why I'm modding the hell out of my 007A and my SRM-T1S.
 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:36 AM, spritzer said:

Those always sound a bit off (not as bad as the Mk2.5 units but still) so they are further down the list

With the port mod, how much up your list do they go?

Edited by plaurids
Added update on official arrival of the Stax SR-007 Mk II on Brazil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, spritzer said:

I always apply the port mod so my impressions are always with that in place. 

I see, thanks. Enough off-topicking, I suppose... Back to the CRBN: which DACs have you used with it besides the Denafrips Terminator, and which were your impressions with those (if any)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...