Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

4 minutes ago, VPI said:

Looks decent.  I think I like the brakes on the Festool better than that system but the gauge for bag fill and stuff would be nice.

Going from the Sawstop Jobsite Pro which just required I pull it out of the box and put the blade on to the new PCS with 20 boxes and having to build the whole thing is quite the adventure.

I was going to recommend you just skip the middle step of owning a SawStop and skip directly to a Felder sliding saw.  I’m sure we can come up with an overly complicated WiFi operated ceiling lift system. 

I assume all you SawStop guys are using the industrial mobile base?  That is the only part I am waiting on and cannot find them anywhere local. Trying to decide if I just go with the standard PCS mobility cart and live with the lack of mobility. 

Just now, VPI said:

I assume all you SawStop guys are using the industrial mobile base?  That is the only part I am waiting on and cannot find them anywhere local. Trying to decide if I just go with the standard PCS mobility cart and live with the lack of mobility. 

Don’t. Get the industrial, it makes it so easy to move. 

I will say, it seems that SawStop should be making the Industrial Base already prepped for the PCS as an option. Doing the conversion with the loctite and soft-ass Allen screws is a PITA. If they are going to put on loctite, they might as well do it at the PCS sizing as well for an option. 

4 hours ago, Voltron said:

This for sure. Sounds like you find one, which is good.

There were two of us but building the PCS wasn't terrible and took a couple or few hours. 

Unfortunately I do not have an apprentice to help so I am going to be working with balance, brute force and luck. I am thinking 3 days minimum, not including hospital time after trying to lift the thing onto the stand. 

The local dealer WSI Machinery seems to be great. Mostly giant industrial stuff but a full retail store with SawStop, Festool, SCM and a few brands I did not recognize. 

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, VPI said:

Unfortunately I do not have an apprentice to help so I am going to be working with balance, brute force and luck. I am thinking 3 days minimum, not including hospital time after trying to lift the thing onto the stand. 

I did it myself with the same technique in an afternoon. It isn’t that bad. 

Did you get it delivered or picked up in the truck?

I am still brain storming how to get the pallet out of my fucking truck. Even slamming the air suspension to the lowest mode, it is a pretty good lift for 400ish pounds off the tailgate. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, VPI said:

Did you get it delivered or picked up in the truck?

I am still brain storming how to get the pallet out of my fucking truck. Even slamming the air suspension to the lowest mode, it is a pretty good lift for 400ish pounds off the tailgate. 

It was delivered. I had the pallet with everything on it in my garage. 

Going to need to find 4-5 strong friends, rent a forklift, or rig up a block and tackle/engine lift. Or build a ramp. Still going to need friends for that. 

Anyone have any good references for building cabinets? I need to build a couple face frames vanities ASAP. 

I've built a ton of them, but my reference is in my head. It's pretty straight forward though. I like to use a set of router bits like this to tongue and groove the stiles and rails of the face frame...

0329d5c2-f5ce-4097-9d8e-4100147b8cc8.cdc11c88bab9ae58b69a70a9d12e9f3e.jpeg

I usually build my toe kick as a separate piece. Then I can level it, and set the cabinet box on top. It's really handy if your joining several boxes together.

1 minute ago, swt61 said:

I've built a ton of them, but my reference is in my head. It's pretty straight forward though. I like to use a set of router bits like this to tongue and groove the stiles and rails of the face frame...

0329d5c2-f5ce-4097-9d8e-4100147b8cc8.cdc11c88bab9ae58b69a70a9d12e9f3e.jpeg

I figured that was going to be your reference. I’ll see if I can find any books on it. Probably go the domino route for joinery. 

I build my box out of Baltic Birch plywood, then use pocket screws to join it to the faceframe. Then I use whatever 1/4" hardwood plywood matches the faceframe to make side panels.

This is a pretty good reference. It's basically the same way I build mine.

I used Bourbon Moth’s tutorial on Youtube

and used plywood carcass and poplar face frame and doors as they were painting those. 

I used the Blum hinges which worked really well with the Rockler tool. 

Forgot, I also used pocket screws, but the Castle kind, which are so much easier to work with. 

Edited by VPI

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

I believe I opened the boxes outside and brought mine in piece by piece.

That is more or less my plan. I think taking the extra cast iron pieces out of the box should take the weight down to 330ish lbs which I should be able to get into the garage. 

• Like 1

Made it up to the extension wing mounting before I decided to take a break. The only issue so far is the Festoolian location of the elevation hand wheel set screw. 

I have the oil cleaned off the top so I want to treat before shutting down. I have Boeshield T9, Johnsons Paste Wax, Fluid Film and Slick Kote. What is the HC steel protectant of choice?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VPI said:

Made it up to the extension wing mounting before I decided to take a break. The only issue so far is the Festoolian location of the elevation hand wheel set screw. 

I have the oil cleaned off the top so I want to treat before shutting down. I have Boeshield T9, Johnsons Paste Wax, Fluid Film and Slick Kote. What is the HC steel protectant of choice?

I like carnauba. 

https://www.selfridges.com/US/en/cat/swissvax-crystal-rock-carnauba-wax-200ml_R00065220/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-GoogleUS-_-HOMETECH-_-SWISSVAX&POR=Y&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na_na_pla-b_na_na_na_INT_USA-PLA-HOMEANDTECH-HOME&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAO_o7ymw7YD2G_zsVnSzAyT8sQPYLf58A7WMZ3F45dlN_m7hWBC9I62s6QEaAuyCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds