Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Carbide 3D released two in-house products under the name McEtcher (teehee) so I picked up the combo pack, conveniently one day before they announced it as part of their black Friday sale - insert *sigh* emoji.  It takes some tinkering, and I'll be interested to see how it does on standard brass.  I've got a sheet that arrived yesterday that I need to engrave for someone. Too many fricken people retiring this year.

• Like 2

Spent most of the day going through scraps trying to find something flat enough to make into a cutting board. Ended up with a Wenge/Teak plan but not sure if I need something brighter in there for pop. 

Also gave up on the cast iron looking paint technique and put together the cabinet under the saw. Need to buff out the wax but as about as close to cast iron as I could figure out.

The leveling feet ended up being boring so when I have access to a welder in Texas I am going to weld some bolts onto some blade wrenches and throw those on there. 

53802FB8-B949-4BAB-85DE-BE3317D2D5AD.jpeg

F9D09931-FFD9-445B-8A8F-4E402B3005B6.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

Neither would be my choice to touch food. YMMV.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4305116/

It is not a direct extrapolation from inhalation toxicity to contact and ingestion toxicity. Plus Bob Villa would disagree: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-wood-for-cutting-board/

21 minutes ago, morphsci said:

It is not a direct extrapolation from inhalation toxicity to contact and ingestion toxicity.

Indeed, though several paragraphs above where he recommends using it, Bob suggests avoiding wood with toxic stuff in it which teak decidedly has. It is probably fine, and I doubt that wood cutting board poisoning is really a thing. But if I had a pile of walnut laying about, I'd use that instead (which goes for pretty well every project short of building a canoe).

Wenge I just hate working with.

• Like 1

My cousin Roy was a set designer and head carpenter for Pinewood Studios. His two most famous ones were the original Superman movie (the ice palace was one of his), and A Fish Called Wanda.

Alas most sets were (and perhaps still are) made from MDF. A lifetime breathing in MDF dust did him no good at all, and while working on a Bond movie maybe 20 years ago in the Philippines, had a recurrence of a breathing crisis and sadly died.

Before breathing safety for lifetime professional woodworkers was a thing.

I assume with all these retirements you must be in charge of everything by now Nate.

I would like to chat with you about surplus nuclear subs that might be available for a plan I am working out. 

Put the Walrus Wax on the board and threw it in the kitchen as Kasia decided to keep this one. 

4964759C-38CF-4144-9022-93DA23ABCA00.jpeg

2C66FE6C-DF4B-4593-9DA7-FDDC15D30A6E.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, VPI said:

I assume with all these retirements you must be in charge of everything by now Nate.

I would like to chat with you about surplus nuclear subs that might be available for a plan I am working out. 

Put the Walrus Wax on the board and threw it in the kitchen as Kasia decided to keep this one. 

4964759C-38CF-4144-9022-93DA23ABCA00.jpeg

2C66FE6C-DF4B-4593-9DA7-FDDC15D30A6E.jpeg

Looks great, sadly it will kill you within a fortnight. 

Edited by naamanf
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VPI said:

1. Not hardly in charge, but we’ll see what the next few months bring for change around here.  I have full faith and trust in HR’s ability to completely fuck it up.

2. I think we’re giving the surplus to Australia so you might have to fight a dingo or a kangaroo for one.  Does head control work on non-native species?

3. The cutting board came out beautiful, which makes sense given it’s deadly nature.  I would love to have a shop big enough to house a planer and jointer but that’s not in the cards.  So I’ll have to keep ping ponging for a while and having fun with that.

• Like 3