Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

20 minutes ago, VPI said:

Spoke to SawStop. It all comes back to the shitty 15a circuit. Either get a better circuit or stop using the saw is their advice. 

I find that hard to believe, have you measured the voltage of when the saw kicks on? Just because it’s a 15a circuit, doesn’t mean it can only carry 15. 

I thought the same thing but I have not tried to measure. He said as soon as I said it rumbles and then goes to alarm that he knew the problem.

Basically the alarm triggers if it does not get to 4K rpm within a time period.  If the draw does not allow this, the stress on the motor, he says, is the equivalent of taking a hammer to it  

I do know that the circuit trips at least a couple of times any time I doing anything in the garage. Fucking Festool CT26 set it off once, just vacuuming up sawdust off the saw.

They said 20amp would work so I am working on getting a 25a circuit pulled to replace the 14ga wire/15a circuit to get me by until things become more normal.  If that is not feasible I am just going to pay the 4-5k for the full rewire and panel, which is what I should have done to begin with, just pissed off about the COVID pricing for something so simple. 

Edited by VPI

I think Marc was asking  about the panels in the door and drawer frames. I'm pretty sure the door and drawer frames have datos that the flat panels slide into Marc. That's the traditional way. Or they might have rabbits that the flat panel sets into.

Looking closer I see that he ping ponged the frames out of a solid piece of MDF, so those frames would be rabbited on back and the panels would set in those rabbits. Correct me if I'm wrong Naaman.

4 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Wait, WTF? Are those raised panel doors and drawers carved out of a solid chunk of MDF?

Al just answered my question. That's fucking crazy. Crazy cool!

That's a first for me. 

Al is correct. Raised panel HDF single piece doors are pretty common for painted cabinets. There are CNC bits to match just about every shaper knife profile. 

24 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I can recommend Sherwin Williams Wall & Wood Primer and Sherwin Williams Emerald Eurethane Enamel paint. That stuff is Uber durable and easy to spray.

Oil based paint is whatever I can find around here. Hit or miss mix off PPG and Benjamin Moore. Sherwin Williams has been a dry hole for a while. 

I would assume any place that supplies cabinet shops has HDF. Rare to find at box stores. 

35 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

How are the drawers fronts then attached to the side and bottom of the drawer?

The drawer box is built to be made into one piece with a dado on all for sides for the bottom to fit into. Then the drawer front is secured from the rear with wood screws. 

Edited by naamanf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, naamanf said:

Kapex arrived. So far I’m loving it. Makes a great resting location when taking a break during my shop rearranging. 

38A5DE0B-1A0E-4185-BCFC-219ECFA30C58.jpeg

I knew you'd love it! If you'd have bought two you could stack them, and then it's tall enough to play chess on. Or checkers if you're low brow.

I discovered that my Makita miter saw also has a trenching feature. It's not as quick to set up as the Festool. Requires turning a screw, kind of like in a plunge router. But it worked great.