Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Looks like I will be spending the next few months trying to figure out how to work my magic side table.Ā 
Ā 

V Carve seems reasonable enough for really basic designs, my forte, but there is a ton of stuff to figure out.Ā 
Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VPI said:

Looks like I will be spending the next few months trying to figure out how to work my magic side table.Ā 
Ā 

V Carve seems reasonable enough for really basic designs, my forte, but there is a ton of stuff to figure out.Ā 
Ā 

Check out Mark Lindsayā€™s YouTube channel. It will tech you everything you need to know. He is a little slow which is good at first but gets annoying once you know whatā€™s going on and just want the meat. If you have any questions shoot me a message, Iā€™m pretty good at it meow.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Threw together a little stand for the magic side table that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Need to take the flush trim bit around the edges as I did a lazy glue up on the lamination. Ā 

The Rockler stands are certainly not the easiest to get square, but seem good enough to support the magic side table, I hope. Ā Having the drawers/shelves will certainly help.Ā 

Going to run shop vac up to a spring hook in the ceiling to give me dust collection of I can make it work.Ā 
Ā 

B0699E93-84C3-460B-9305-ADEFFCE0C54C.jpeg

• Like 4

Bought the CNC directly from the manufacturer, assuming they would just send along the freebies with the package so they do not have to go through the hassle of another shipment.Ā  Nope, I have to register the CNC with them first, and I cannot register it until it is built because all serial numbers are hidden within the controller for some reason.

• Confused 2

The issue is, the bolts are four inches long and only the last 3/4ā€ of an inch is threaded. I would have had to heat up the housing. After breaking 3 Allen wrenches I got a long ass one and a rubber mallet and went to town. Got it in but what a shitty fucking design.Ā 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 2

Not sure if you're already planning on chip extraction/suction but I'd highly recommend it. Also, if you can build an enclosure to help attenuate noise you'll be happier for it. I haven't managed an enclosure yet but the router is loud AF and I'm pretty sure we're running the same model. It's one thing to live with it for a few minutes during traditional router operation, it's another thing entirely to run it like that for hours straight.Ā 

7 minutes ago, n_maher said:

Not sure if you're already planning on chip extraction/suction but I'd highly recommend it. Also, if you can build an enclosure to help attenuate noise you'll be happier for it. I haven't managed an enclosure yet but the router is loud AF and I'm pretty sure we're running the same model. It's one thing to live with it for a few minutes during traditional router operation, it's another thing entirely to run it like that for hours straight.Ā 

Iā€™m guessing the routers are louder because they are a brushed motor. Spindles are really quite.Ā 

The water cooled spindle will help, but it is had to get at the moment as they have been upgraded and everyone is buying them up. I could skip the new 3HP and get the older 2 HP, which is probably more than enough for me.Ā 

Still trying to figure out dust. I have that dust extractor right next to it that I thought might work if it suspend it from the ceiling and step down to the dust shroud 2 1/4 size.Ā 

Edited by VPI

1 hour ago, VPI said:

The water cooled spindle will help, but it is had to get at the moment as they have been upgraded and everyone is buying them up. I could skip the new 3HP and get the older 2 HP, which is probably more than enough for me.Ā 

Still trying to figure out dust. I have that dust extractor right next to it that I thought might work if it suspend it from the ceiling and step down to the dust shroud 2 1/4 size.Ā 

The extractor will certainly work, us poor people just use a shop vac which is plenty.Ā  The first hurdle is just having a mount for the hose attached to the spindle.Ā  Looks like you'll get a free dust boot when you get it all registered which should be perfect and the touch plate is a game changer too.Ā Ā 

And if you can get an upgraded proper spindle life will be a lot more pleasant.Ā  I'm isolated enough in the house that running open frame with the banshee router isn't impossible but I'd really like to get it enclosed and toned down a bit so that night time operation might be an option.Ā Ā 

I was leaning towards the spindle; but as I have no idea at this point if I will ever figure out how to work this thing, I went with a spare router for the moment. The neighbors are both deaf, but Kasia works 12 hours a day, everyday on phone calls so it might be problematic.Ā 

• Haha 1

I think you'll figure it out, but there's definitely a learning curve.Ā  It was one of the reasons that I went with the Carbide3D product, so that there was the option of idiot-friendly software but not so locked in that if I somehow get more advanced you can run whatever you want. Figuring out the CAD/CAM interface does take a little time but I see that they've got their +VCarve software so maybe that's relatively user friendly?Ā  Start small, work your way up, I'm sure you'll do fine.