Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

There are generally 3 different types of crown molding. 38, 45 and 52 degrees. The Kreg jig has a tool to allow you to check what your particular spring angle is, then you set the jig to that angle. It simply holds the molding at the correct angle as you cut. Without the jig the crown tends to move slightly while cutting. A slight discrepancy can become a big gap pretty quickly. You still turn the crown upside down to cut. 

The hangers are new to me. I just discovered them, and since I'll be working alone, they'll make holding the crown in place so much easier!

• Like 1

Interesting. Do not see myself doing crown molding but I love the brands like Kreg that just come up with ways to make things easier. 

The issue with getting to the wood is that the wood stacked in front of my wood was not the wood I am looking for. I could have cut into those stacks, but that would not have helped me get to the cedar 2x4s I wanted behind the two stacks. 

9 hours ago, VPI said:

If I could figure out how to fit that jointer in my one garage space wood shop I would probably grab it.

I personally wouldn't spend any actual money on an American style jointer. By the time you add a planer, it costs as much as buying a dual jointer/planer, it uses twice the space, and it leaves you with a jointer that's narrower than the planer which is dumb.

The small cheap planers make sense for saving money, or the big standalone makes sense in a commercial shop with multiple people working at once, but otherwise I think they're pretty much always the wrong choice.

Do any of the SawStop crew run the overarm dust collection systems?  Looking for options to limit the massive amounts of dust on every surface of the garage. Probably upgrade from the shitty dust right dust collectors first but started watching videos on the overarm options. I see very little difference in the videos so I am wondering if they even work. 

I've working in the shop in Michigan a lot lately and the dust is completely insane without any dust collection beyond the world's loudest and crappiest old shop vac vaguely stuck into the bank of the Sawstop. I have to wear a mask and it would be even worse if there wasn't an air filter. I say this because the same saw in Mayberry with the Supercell creates far, far less dust. It sucks down way more of the dust than I realized. 

I looked into the overarm booms and decided it was a lot of cost for not so much difference in most cases. I don't often use the blade guard vacuum attachment but even with the Festool vacuum attached in conjunction with the Supercell on the main port, it doesn't change the dust on the saw top very much. Getting the combo arm that connects both to the Supercell didn't seem like it could be that much better. If you were cutting sheet goods all the time, the big boom arm might be useful, but it wouldn't do much in many cases. I watched all the videos too, and the results didn't seem worthwhile.