Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

This is the Rolls Royce of multi-tools!

I've had 8 different multi-tools over the years, including a very nice Fein (which I keep at Al's shop), and this is by far my favorite. It's not cheap at $225 (still $75 cheaper than the Fein). However, this is the quietest, most well balanced and most vibration free multi-tool I've ever used. A real game changer IMO! The only negative I could find was that it could only use Starlock or Starlock Max blades. But just recently a Norwegian company has made an adapter specifically for this Makita tool, now allowing me to use the inexpensive Ebay blades. I buy 50 blades for approximately $30.

• Like 3

Just now, swt61 said:

This is the Rolls Royce of multi-tools!

I've had 8 different multi-tools over the years, including a very nice Fein (which I keep at Al's shop), and this is by far my favorite. It's not cheap at $225 (still $75 cheaper than the Fein). However, this is the quietest, most well balanced and most vibration free multi-tool I've ever used. A real game changer IMO! The only negative I could find was that it could only use Starlock or Starlock Max blades. But just recently a Norwegian company has made an adapter specifically for this Makita tool, now allowing me to use the inexpensive Ebay blades. I buy 50 blades for approximately $30.

Looks like the Makita of multi tools, but whatever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, swt61 said:

I haven't used the Festool multi-tool, which is highly rated. But I'm sure that's at least twice the price of the Makita, if not more. But this Makita is amazing. 

I have a Rockwell that I got for $25 on clearance somewhere forever ago. It’s come in real handy when I’ve installed flooring and doing trim work. I’ll have to look at the Ferrari of multi-tools (Milwaukee) if my cheapy breaks. Or I just want to spend more money to help out the economy. 

• Like 1

I've used the Rockwell. It was a decent tool. For that matter, the first multi-tool I bought was a $35 Harbor Freight thing, that was way better than any $35 tool had a right to be. But it was noisy and fatiguing after multiple cuts.

Granted, the average user isn't going to put the miles on one that I do.

The only Dewalts I own. I like them. 

I actually picked up the baby versions of my drills and impacts last night to get into the tighter places of these rockers as I have three orders for pairs from neighbors that saw mine. 

8EFFAD18-45BE-473A-A4E4-63309CD7E715.jpeg

E17D9BC7-1984-4C84-82AA-262C81A8BC05.jpeg

765823D6-C18F-432D-9C27-F031A0B14F6C.jpeg

• Like 2

Anyone have any guesses about approaching the domino placement for this 45 degree joint between a splayed leg and the skirt of the table?

In my mind I think I use the tabs on the top (bottom in pic) to get the top domino but not sure what to reference for the lower domino.

A9828D25-6C8D-44D9-B1F0-9BB4046F957E.jpeg

3456DBE5-E4F8-442F-8348-920F1D9F51F1.jpeg

Edited by VPI

In my last few projects I've been using this new featherboard system I purchased sometime back.

This think is really good. Very well designed, in that it easily allows stock to move forward, but is almost impossible to move backward. This will definitely negate any kind of kickback. Also, I've had the plastic fingers of standard style featherboards break off and try to imbed themselves in my face, while cutting stock. Not a pleasant experience. These are a sturdy foam, and would be a lot less menacing if they did break loose. The foam feathers are also a replaceable insert, so can be replaced when needed at a minimal cash outlay.

56389-01-1000_1.jpg

They also make one specific for bandsaw. Al has one, but not sure if he's tried it yet.

59418-01-1000_2.jpg

• Like 1

I have a set of those but it seems like I never tried them. Went all Mag Switch recently as adjustables on mitre slots annoy me. 

What is the HC approved battery palm router, (not Makita Steve) between Dewalt and Milwaukee, as I want to buy no more batteries and chargers?

I am leaning towards Dewalt as I have too many tools going at once with Milwaukee batteries to share another tool and I like the brakes. 

All the cool kids use Bow and Makita. So there's that.

Plus, I love how Jeff asks what tool to buy, then narrows it down to one in the next sentence. 

You're not going to go wrong with Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt or Bosch. It's just a matter of what flavor you want. They're all very well made.

I know my scattered audience. Doug will be here shortly to recommend a router plane from some Tibetan guy that only makes them once every seven years  

I did almost buy one of the small Makita drills the other day as HD had one on the clearance rack for 70% off but some jag off bought it before I went back to grab it. 

I really like the Bosch Cowboy or whatever the fuck corded router I use now, just want to lose the cord.  Maybe I will look at those as well. 

My tool shop has 15% off all Milwaukee Friday so that might make a nice choice if I get one with yet another battery. 

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

I really like the clamp on the DeWalt palm router. Super easy depth adjustments and bit changes. It also feels really good in the hand. I still use the corded version, that now lives in Al's shop.

1 hour ago, VPI said:

I know my scattered audience. Doug will be here shortly to recommend a router plane from some Tibetan guy that only makes them once every seven years

That Tibetan guy makes his own "natural" finish. And you don't want to know what's in it!

• Like 1