Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Okay wood peoples, what are your preferred finishes for the outdoor stick furniture?

I use penetrating oil for the cedar sticks but contemplating a Halcyon boat varnish, teak oil, something else for the Sapele/White Oak lounge chair.Ā 

Probably 30% sun and direct rain/snow exposure.Ā 

There is no maintenance free finish. Every outdoor finish will need work over time. The only maintenance free finish is no finish. But if you don't want a silver/grey oxidation, then I think a spar varnish or boat finish is probably your best option.

• Like 1

Doug is right. If it's actually Sapele, the Le Toninois or any other marine varnish should be a great match. If it doesn't penetrate, then it's something other than Sapele. Having seen pics of the wood, I'm sure it's a Mahogany derivative of some sort, and therefore should take the top coat well.

I had forgotten about the Le Tonkinois. It is a beautiful, durable and more natural finish. It has held up beautifully on Al's garage door in the city. And that door is somewhat near the ocean, so it's not an easy environment.Ā 

11 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

You guys must have used very different sapele than I did :)

I was just saying that I didn't know if sapele had those qualities, rather than suggesting it did.

The garage door and the front door in SF are mahogany, and the Tonkinois is doing remarkably well in the damp sea air and fog.

That looks great Jeff, and the two woods go together beautifully.

• Like 1

So I ended up putting the legs on but I am not entirely sure I trust the 150 hipsterā€™s design to hold real people weights.Ā 

It is just two areas of glue up and 4 2ā€ screws per side (my addition).Ā 

Trying to figure out some kind of reinforcement I can throw on the chair so I donā€™t get sued when it collapses under someone.Ā 
Ā 

33E5D19F-0398-4DA7-A303-71D716AD6601.jpeg

The legs are splayed a bit, but it still seems to me that most of the weight is placed in a downward force on the legs themselves. Not the joints. As for the screws, they are holding the weight horizontaly, not vertically. So there's no danger of the screws pulling out. It's all about the shear strength of the screw, not the holding power of the threads.

It seems like a pretty sound design to me.

A piece connecting the front and back legs, down low would add a lot of strength, but probably take away from the overall esthetic.Ā 

• Like 1