Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Decided this is the week I break out the Leigh D4r Pro and figure out how to use this son of a bitch. Only had it for a year and a half now. 

Hoping to use the Festool 1400 router with it, another thing I thing might have taken out of the box once. 

Have some tea bag organizers to nail together with this crazy thing. 

Edited by VPI

I think I am more interested in learning to hand cut as the Leigh has issues staying locked in across cuts. The key bar keeps sliding which leads to super loose or tight fits periodically. The little brass thumb turn cannot tighten it enough to battle the vibration/router movement. 

Built a tray to go on the entry cabinet for all of Kasia’s mail that she never opens. 

280C381C-000B-4A9C-9292-4F362B8878B8.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VPI said:

Anyone used the 3M sand paper everyone on YouTube is so enamored with?

Got a box of 80 grit and it does seem to be better than the Festool and Mirka stuff I have. 

I’ve been using it as well, probably a little better than the Mirka. Wish they had it for finish sanders. I do not like the Festool stuff at all, way to thin and weak. 

8 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I've been using the 3M Cubitron II lately. I like it a lot. 

I've heard great things about the 3M Xtract sander, but $1,200 doesn't make sense for a jobsite sander.

I’m 99% sure the 3M sanders are the same as the SurfPreps. Not sure which is the better price. 

I've been trying to rehabilitate and revise the heaviest deck table in the world and in the process decided that the only thing I'm going to do with the leftover Ipe decking is make decking. Unreliable is a good summary. Annoyingly dense and brittle at the same time. Death to most screws. Resistant to finishes. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voltron said:

I've been trying to rehabilitate and revise the heaviest deck table in the world and in the process decided that the only thing I'm going to do with the leftover Ipe decking is make decking. Unreliable is a good summary. Annoyingly dense and brittle at the same time. Death to most screws. Resistant to finishes. 

Almost thought you were talking about MAGA republicans there at the end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have found any untreated ends will crack like crazy, but if you apply the sealant after cuts to stored sticks, they do not develop the cracks.

Simply gluing everything together with hardened Epoxy (Thixo) has worked well so far and the Penofin Hardwood penetrating oil makes a fantastic finish with minimal effort. 

Remains to be seen if any of it holds up over time though. I just want to go through this giant stack of Ipe in my driveway/under my deck. 

My experience is that no finishes really last on this stuff, but I saw Penofin Transparent Ipe at the hardware store this morning so I got a can. I reconfigured this table a bit, made stronger legs from the old ones, and bolted them on instead of using screws and glue. We'll see how it holds up all around.

64995ECB-78FE-4075-BCB1-4C794D678F93.thumb.jpeg.45d2b6b343c369e43b441d6d31c44fe9.jpeg

B2F1FF22-F876-4C24-B99D-D91EAA51A139.thumb.jpeg.a234a1d24338ab686d69a9ac27a5cf2d.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks gorgeous. The wood is a bitch to work with. Processed 36 linear feet today and it was not enjoyable. 

My table and coasters have been outside for about a month with the Penofin and I cannot tell the difference from when I put them out. 

I wish I had a hardware store selling Penofin locally; I have to drive an hour each way. 

• Like 1