Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Mock-up of the bench as I try to decide how high to raise the seat slats above the legs before doing a thumbnail roundover on all the slats. 

Thinking I might take off an extra quarter inch before the roundover to blend the slats and legs better. 

Also trying to decide if I want it to be a bit deeper. 

625F9209-DE77-44E7-8212-1520A1CAA991.jpeg

8EF54FB4-2802-4E0E-8917-0F000E990CCE.jpeg

Just now, Voltron said:

What is the purpose of that light box?

It’s going into a corner above a stove at just below eye level. Shelves will extend on both sides to the cabinets. The light will be pointing down toward the stove. Again, not something I would do for myself. 

E7ED06EB-82A7-4C36-AD16-F51EE924731B.jpeg

I think the implementation will make or break it.

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

It's gotta be over 100 lbs! Looks good, and I wasn't sure if you were leaving the groove but it gives the sides some texture and interest. 👍🏻

I was thinking the exact same thing. Really gives interest and texture to the project. 

12 hours ago, swt61 said:

I think the implementation will make or break it.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Really gives interest and texture to the project. 

Agree, still don’t think it will be my bag, but if they are happy, I’m happy. 

Little more fun, prepping a white oak slab. 

6887EEAF-D163-4955-B0A9-189581BCEB2E.jpeg

81B927D6-94E8-42B8-8BCD-580D508D82A3.jpeg

• Like 5

Picking out a fixed based router for the Leigh jig.  I like the trigger on the Bosch but I like the height adjustment on the Dewalt I think.  Anyone have either one?  The Festool plunge routers are just too top heavy to get clean dovetails. 

0BD5E923-78A7-425D-A7AE-3E809486D6F7.png

B7C63B85-4929-4A74-A2A3-9EB25FA833D7.png

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

I think the Tritons might have that feature. I've not used one so I don't know how well it works.

The big 3 1/4 hp Triton is the best handheld router I've used to date. It's built lower than the competition, which pretty much eliminates that top heavy element. Even though a smaller router can be more nimble, this Triton is really comfortable to use, and the extra power can be very handy for harder wood species. 

Since this is Head Case, I'd recommend the Triton MOF001

52547-01-1000_3.jpg

And the Triton TRA002

68567-02.jpg

I have been looking at bench designs, trying to decide between a dedicated hand tool bench and a combo with assembly capabilities. 

Saw this one for sale locally that looks pretty well made. Not sure I would want the Oak, but the wood alone is probably at least half the cost of the bench. Looks big enough to be a multipurpose bench and probably less than I would pay for the lumber and equipment if I tried to build my own. Just wish it was a bit shorter. 

D6074583-CA96-4483-9647-C03E1853A302.png

50FBBA65-AFDF-44EC-8A6C-A34CECA99B6B.png

Doing a lot of hand tool work, particularly planing down boards, will put a lot of side to side pressure on a bench. The advantage of the Roubo design is that the legs through the top helps prevent racking. I have a Sjoberg that is poorly designed in that regard, that needs to be re tightened regularly, and that is probably going to fail soon. But if you aren't hand planing, then it is not really a big deal.

Probably only the bare minimum of planing.  Really need assembly surface more than anything but would like the ability to use hand tools every once in a while. 
Contemplating the simple Rob Cosman Work Bench customized a bit for more surface area maybe.