Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

The blast gates open and close fine as is, this is what I would have to do to make the Oneida turn on whenever a tool turns on.  I found out I would actually have to do double this because of the two trunk lines I am running.  About 800 to not have to use the crappy Oneida remote.

Does anyone have a go to drill thread tap for threading in wood.  Need a 5/16” one to mount the twin turbo vices and not sure if there is a HC approved model. 

I don't recommend tapping threads for wood screws. I like to pick a drill the diameter of the shank of the screw (not the tread diameter), then predrill the holes, but don't tap for threads. Even the hardest of woods will usually have the best result with this method.

Otherwise use a threaded metal insert for machine thread screws.

Threaded inserts are held in place by their own threads, so if your concern is that threads in wood aren't strong, the insert doesn't add any advantage. It probably makes it worse.

I've found threads in wood to hold up very well. Infinity tools sells taps specifically for wood. Not sure they are any better or different than regular taps, but they exist. https://www.infinitytools.com/wood-taps

• Like 1

Got the infinity Tools setup as I needed some Colliflower inserts and the big Wixey gauge for the planer from them anyway. 

The instructions from the inventor tap the wood directly as he taps all the attachment points on these vices, including the ones into the bench. 

Based upon photos I guess it could be any of those but I am almost positive it was from Brazil as I seem to recall seeing that when I picked it up. Might be too nice to waste on the gap stop for the bench as it cleans up very nicely. 

Also, if anyone is interested in the twin turbo vice or any of his other stuff he is having a secret 20% off sale.  If you need the code let me know. 

Edited by VPI

23 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Jatoba?

That would definitely fit with it being from Brazil. 

12 minutes ago, VPI said:

Based upon photos I guess it could be any of those but I am almost positive it was from Brazil as I seem to recall seeing that when I picked it up. Might be too nice to waste on the gap stop for the bench as it cleans up very nicely. 

Also, if anyone is interested in the twin turbo vice or any of his other stuff he is having a secret 20% off sale.  If you need the code let me know. 

But that means I would need to build another bench 🤔

I have gotten close to running out several times. I am actually preferring the Jorgensen Cabinet Masters to the Besseys and the Woodpeckers in this build. 

Decided the cool racing stripe in the middle of the bench was worth wasting the pretty board. 

Also ordered a full set of his magnetic Jatoba dogs to put in the bench since this may be Jatoba, and the sale is perfect timing. 

5DA42A24-72E3-425C-B0CF-452D1070ABCC.jpeg

C55BCCC4-4E85-41BD-A728-9B3D99294FA0.jpeg

Edited by VPI

1 hour ago, VPI said:

I have gotten close to running out several times. I am actually preferring the Jorgensen Cabinet Masters to the Besseys and the Woodpeckers in this build. 

Decided the cool racing stripe in the middle of the bench was worth wasting the pretty board. 

Also ordered a full set of his magnetic Jatoba dogs to put in the bench since this may be Jatoba, and the sale is perfect timing. 

5DA42A24-72E3-425C-B0CF-452D1070ABCC.jpeg

C55BCCC4-4E85-41BD-A728-9B3D99294FA0.jpeg

I built the traditional dogs that come the the Roubo plans and as much as it pains me to say this, buying a cool after market one is pretty useless. They are stupid simple to pop up and down with a good usable height range.   Only downside is the bench has to be built to use them.  

Yeah, scrapped the Roubo bench a long time ago. All the Roubo vices gather dust in the corner, hence all the Twin Turbo vices. Going simple Hybrid with 3/4” round dogs, so much easier and much easier to get the length I need without a billion calculations to take the 87” Roubo down to 66”. 

Special friend price, 98 pennies on the dollar. This is just a Naaman price; don’t tell my other customers. 

I actually have the whole setup with the special red knobs up on FB marketplace for $600 and zero interest.