Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

I am down to a decision point on bench dogs. I have almost 20 extra so I am trying to decide if I run a strip down the opposite side of the bench for symmetry or just stay with the single run of bench dogs. 

Any opinions????

6E87E69A-254A-4387-BCC5-D545D752FAE7.jpeg

713E12BC-EABF-4E47-A00D-2C51E1E27B97.jpeg

I will have some regular 3/4” dog holes on that side for the Veritas whatever dogs/hold downs. Might start getting Swiss cheesy, but I guess I can supposed use them with the 3/4 through holes made for the In-Kleind bench dogs. 

Edited by VPI

Thanks guys. Luckily none of you have to see it in person to pick out all the issues I have.

Next poll, which finish for this thing. I know Naaman used Tried & True and some big bench nerds recommend Waterlox and about everyone else recommends Danish Oil. Cannot decide. 

9C911B9E-223D-497D-9437-80661A31E81A.jpeg

Al, since you guys convinced me to add them to the other side I will only have 6-8 leftovers. If you want to use them on your bench let me know. The require a 1 5/8” Forstner, 3/4 auger and a Brad point 3/8” bit for the magnets that hold the dogs at whatever height you want. 

Edited by VPI

7 minutes ago, swt61 said:

From what you have there, Tried & True, not even an option in my mind.

What I used, but being a shitty woodworker my bench gets used more as a giant charcuterie board. 

Edited by naamanf
  • Haha 2

My main concern with the tried and true is that I did the shelf with that and sawdust seems to stick to it like crazy. Maybe I did not rub off enough of the excess, I kind of treated it like I do Odie’s with a sander buffing pad to remove excess. 

Applied a first coat of Tried and True on the base (ash). Kind of wish I had treated the Ash with a water based finish, as it went from looking okay to looking Home Depot lumber real quick with the yellow tint. 

204CD52A-5178-4A28-82F9-AB7A439714A2.jpeg

ACA3FDDC-976D-4211-AA49-6962F8A1ECF0.jpeg

291431C5-A8E3-4240-B7DB-828C720B1A49.jpeg

8EBE02BA-1038-47E2-90B9-F4778263C893.jpeg

• Like 2