Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

I would think it would make more sense for a pro in the field like yourself than it does to someone like me. I will probably use it to put the logo on the bench vice and then do some carvings on the 6x6 cedar posts for my new mailbox and never use it again. I guess I need to try dovetails to see if it is better at those than the leigh. 

18 minutes ago, n_maher said:

Just curious why someone would choose to spend $2500 on that router instead of a small CNC rig?  I guess I need to watch some vids of how it works but at first blush, I don’t get it.

I think that it's purchased mainly by people without room for a proper ping pong table.

That and there's no size constraints. Not sure if that's right though. 

If I  did a lot of jobsite inlays and such, it'd make more sense. It is very portable.

I think it largely has benefits where it can work on large finished projects that cannot fit on a CNC (6x6 cedar post, hardwood floors, completed workbenches that were really to thick to fit under rhe gantry of most/any small CNC machines anyway) and it can do the joinery that the majority of small CNC machines could never manage due to the lack of vertical tables. 

9 hours ago, swt61 said:

I think it might be great to make templates. For curved legs and such. Also Dutchmen and other inlays.

Templates is my primary plan, as my small CNC is designed to only accepts boards slightly shorter than anything anyone would ever want to template, ever. 

If i had a Naaman level CNC i would probably just hook it to AI and let the internet spit out templates for me all day. AI seems to be a better designer than me. 

Screenshot_20230428-212033.png

"

A yurt is a portable, round tent traditionally used by nomadic people in Central Asia. It is made with a wooden frame and covered with felt or canvas.

A teepee is a conical tent traditionally used by Native American tribes on the Great Plains. It is made with wooden poles and covered with animal hides or canvas.

A wigwam is a domed or cone-shaped structure traditionally used by Native American tribes in the northeastern part of North America. It is made with a framework of wooden poles covered with bark or woven mats.

A tent is a portable shelter made of fabric or other materials supported by poles and ropes. It can come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be used for camping, outdoor events, and emergency situations.

The main differences between these structures are their shape, materials used for construction, and cultural origins. Yurts and teepees are both round, while wigwams are typically domed or cone-shaped. Yurts are made with a wooden frame and covered with felt or canvas, while teepees and wigwams are typically made with wooden poles and covered with animal hides, bark, or woven mats. Tents, on the other hand, can be made with a variety of materials and come in various shapes and sizes."

Next you'll be saying all saw blades and drill bits are the same!