Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Milling up all the left over Maple from the bench to make a benchtop for the new Maple built in for my closet.  Cannot figure out how to incorporate the bench dogs/vice in the dresser, but I think I can at least make some Jotoba drawer pulls. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, swt61 said:

This little battery powered table saw is impressive. And it's quieter than the corded version.

Seems like one of these cordless tool companies should come up with a way to flip their  circular saw upside down and use it as a table saw.

Edited by dsavitsk

On 5/7/2023 at 5:17 PM, dsavitsk said:

Seems like one of these cordless tool companies should come up with a way to flip their  circular saw upside down and use it as a table saw.

This video would be better if Natasha were also involved. 

And maybe moose and squirrel. 

I bought some Seneca tool for that but have never taken it out of the box to try it. 

The scrap wood/HD Plywood built in is coming along. Need to decide now if i go full CanaryWood drawer fronts or all maple fronts with canarywood pulls or inlays. 

Going to put some big bevels on the bottom and little ones on the top of the “scrap” top and then throw drawers in and hope my measurements were actually correct. 🙂

IMG_3748.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

Edited by VPI

So much fun cutting hardwood drawers for Blum undermount slides only to come up short because i did not carry the 39/64 of an inch in my calculations. 

Appears I need to mill all new fronts and backs to get to my 31 29/32 drawer box for these silly fucking slides. 

• Sad 1

I know that the Blum undermount slides are the hip thing these days. They do make a quality product, and there are certainly situations where they are preferable. But looking at the design of your current build, I'd think that side mounted KV drawer guides would work perfectly well. With the added bonus of being cheaper and much easier to install.

That's just my two cents.

Based upon my calculatorations, this one ended up being 573/800 of an inch off, but luckily it still seems to work. 

Need to pull some of the levers built it to the slides to get the setback perfect for the yet to be processed birds eye maple drawer front. 

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3762.jpeg

• Like 2

Trailer park hack.

The small DeWalt jobsite tablesaws will not accept a dado stack, because the spindle is too short. 

But it will accept three thin curf blades of the same tooth number. Not as good as a 3/4" dado stack, but far superior to a 1/16" pass. This about 1/4".

20230515_085631.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Trailer park hack.

The small DeWalt jobsite tablesaws will not accept a dado stack, because the spindle is too short.

Single 1/4" kerf dado.

https://www.infinitytools.com/8-flat-top-dado-saw-blades

Or

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/router-tables-ra1141-201859-p/

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 1

No room in the van for a router table. And $130 blade for a railing cap is overkill. This isn't something I need to do often at all. These 3 blades were $8 ea.

Probably a very nice blade for the shop though.

Edited by swt61

This is my first time to use Ipe. It seems that depending on how it’s cut (which seems obvious now, but anyways) there are sections that end up with this sort of mottled grain. This is normal, right? This isn’t end-grain but it’s 90 degrees to the typical smooth lines you see.. I should have better planned for this feature of the wood..

Here is what I am referring to:

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg