Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Posted (edited)

Working on a Factory Trawler in the Bering Sea, with lots of Norwegians on board, I find in general that Norwegian wood tends to be smallish. Not that that's a bad thing. I don't like any competition in that realm, and as I've stated many times my real interest lies around back.

Edited by swt61

31 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Working on a Factory Trawler in the Bering Sea, with lots of Norwegians on board, I find in general that Norwegian wood tends to be smallish. Not that that's a bad thing. I don't like any competition in that realm, and as I've stated many times my real interest lies around back.

Shouldn't that be "aft", given the nautical setting.  

And if the sailors were dismissed for being naughty, would they be (dishonorably) discharged Sea Men?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really do think that a router table is something that should be built as apposed to bought. 

It's a pretty basic project, and it's great to build to the size your shop will accommodate. And accessories can be built to need.

Is the repair also Walnut, just lighter in color?

If so I would start with a strong brew of black tea. Keep applying the tea until the color is similar in tone.

1 teabag to 1 cup of boiling water should be about right.

Apply the linseed finish afterwards. 

19 hours ago, swt61 said:

Is the repair also Walnut, just lighter in color?

If so I would start with a strong brew of black tea. Keep applying the tea until the color is similar in tone.

1 teabag to 1 cup of boiling water should be about right.

Apply the linseed finish afterwards. 

Thats correct. First photo is raw after the repair and second is one coat of the linseed finish. Think I need to go darker quicker without applying more finish coats..

IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

42 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Pretty good repair. 

Just for knowledge acquisition - water based stains go on before an oil finish but oil based stains can go on anytime (including between coats?)

I need to grain fill a bit so my worry about adding a stain on first is that I blow through it as I am trying to fill in the pores with the oil finish. 

I would prefer something I can apply anytime hence the question about a tint in the oil finish.

Edited by luvdunhill