No way I'm carrying Louis Vuitton!

KenW

My wife and I are at the Louis V store and she's shopping for a new travel bag for yours truly. Seems she's sick of seeing me carry my electronic gear in a Canon camera bag when we travel. While I'd love to get a nicer case for my gear(we travel a lot), there's no way I'm going to carry that thing....at $1200 with NO compartments! So we struck a deal....I find a new/nicer bag to replace my camera case or I carry a Louis V on my next trip.

I need a bag with secure compartments, zippers or velcro, dividers...etc. Something a geeky gear junkie like me can store all his goodies in and still slide it under seats on flights. The Louis V has a great big space for a main compartment and thing s will roll around. Only 2 end compartments which don't seal well at all. IEMS could find their way out!

The LV is not functional at all. Just an overpriced status piece. You guys have to help me on this one......well the home theater, too.

Thanks. I'll give that site a look when I get home. Flash and my handheld don't get along too well.

Haven't checked out headroom lately. Maybe they have something? Shoot if I have to carry that LV, maybe a smallish gear bag that would fit inside the LV would be a compromise. I'm just not the sort of guy who carries designer bags like this.....and at that price. :o

That's all that needs to be said.

True enough but my wife collects designer bags the way folks here collect music. I had my wife and two young ladies surrounding me telling me how great that "man bag" looked and how stylish I would look carrying it. ::) After long discussion....oh 30 seconds or so....they finally came to the conclusion I wasn't really excited by the "man bag". Perhaps my walking out of the store gave them a clue? Anyway, I know my old Canon camera bag is old, stale and probably lame but it's got zippered compartments, padded dividers and gets the job done for this geeky old guy. If I can find something more "now" and "stylish" that has the features my old Canon bag does, I'll consider it, but if it's a designer anything, I'm not terribly interested. So far it looks like a trip to Wolf Camera or looking through the LowePro line is in order. Not much else has appealed to me so far.

True enough but my wife collects designer bags the way folks here collect music. I had my wife and two young ladies surrounding me telling me how great that "man bag" looked and how stylish I would look carrying it. ::) After long discussion....oh 30 seconds or so....they finally came to the conclusion I wasn't really excited by the "man bag". Perhaps my walking out of the store gave them a clue?
This story ruled. You rule, for telling the story, and for being its perpetrator.

Here's what you should do -- get whatever bag you want, then make a stencil with the LV logo, then get a can of spray paint that will paint in as fine a line as you can, and spray "FAKE" on it in big bold letters. EDIT: No, even better idea, "NO REAL THAN YOU ARE". Or perhaps just, "LEGO".

38DD60D9.jpg

I would so like to do that. In fact, now that I've thought of it, I may just have to do that.

Except, of course, in all black -- black bag, black stencil, black spray paint. I know just the bag I'm going to start with, too. (I already have it. It was part of a 4-piece set I got at CVS for $25.)

• 3 months later...

I like the Domke photographer bags. I keep audio and photography gear in them. They wear like iron and I like the plain, ballistic black nylon ones. Their "journalist" line doesn't have any noticeable logos or tags on them, either.

As for other bags, Tom Bihn (http://www.tombihn.com/) makes nice ones, and I have a great laptop case from Acme Made (http://www.acmemade.com/). Acme Made makes a few messenger bags and others that might suit your needs. Great build quality, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Camera/photo bag. Kiwi used to make photo bags and they have the typical velcro inserts so you can make the compartments any size you like. I can't seem to find them on the web just now, but head ot the loca photo place (or B&H online). Nice idea. I need something better for my commuting. I spend more time getting stuff in and out for the short trip, and sometimes opt not to bring it. Sacrilege!