Denon 3930CI on Audiogon

DigiPete

Where did I claim that it sounded better? I said I'd wager a guess.

The translation is still the same, I plugged it into babblefish for you:

Blah, blah, uninformed guess x vs. y, blah blah bullshit.

My problem is that your post, as it was written, has exactly zero substance. Now, if you want to post something for pure entertainment value go for it, but your post is exactly the problem with a lot of the "opinions" on head-fi. It's pure conjecture and adds exactly nothing to the debate. Next time try the following, "I heard the Denon and was not overly impressed by it compared to other high res sources like X, and X that I've heard." Leave the Oppo out of it since you have no experience with it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard both stock, but not back-to-back and can't comment on SACDs since I only heard redbook on the oppo. i could be happy with the 3930 and the oppo i couldn't. the Denon is far superior in that if offers resolution, refinement, smoothness (in a good way), and PRAT. The oppo looks like it performs thin, shiny and bright--in a nut shell digital harshness overload, yet my experience with it is limited to redbooks.

Well I own the Oppo 981HD and have listened to a number of RB CDs that I am very familiar with on the Oppo. I listened to a Denon 3930 for a brief while at the OC/LA/HF mixer meet and to me the Denon unmodded kicks the Oppos butt in the RB playback arena, not even close. Everything Mr. Reimyo CDP777 said is true. Different amps and cans were used on each one of my listening sessions but the sonic differences between the Oppo and Denon were huge to me, too much to be accounted for in the different cans and amps used. I bought the Oppo not for the RB anyway, I bought it as a cheap reasonably good source for HT in a playroom/visiting kids isolation booth.

Gentlemen:

Sorry for stirring you guys up! And you are correct that I have not heard the Oppo yet, but the fact remains that I was not blown away by the Denon when I heard it...it sounded like every other SACD player I have heard recently...Will the Oppo sound better? Probably not, but it won't sound worse...at least not in a double blind test. (are we allowed to talk about THAT in here?)

Was not talking about the video section because I could give two shits...sorry for not clarifying that...but I will say that the video section of the Oppo is no slouch.

As to crappy posts and post padding and what-not...We're not gonna have that sort of college-kid whiny-trash floating around here are we? I thought we left those beefs behind at Head Fi! Do you guys really care about your post counts that much? ("his 20+ posts IN ONE DAY") LOL!

Do you guys give reach-arounds?

We don't give a shit about post count, but when you go around posting one word replies in all caps it's sort of annoying.

grawk, I dont mind being challenged...I find it rather invigorating...On head fi, my posts are sometimes just deleted...I much prefer the lively exchanges here.

cheers!

You spammed an emoticon with a flamethrower in countless threads, you wonder why they were deleted?

Not to mention you got a reasonably well argued thread about gear vs music deleted which was annoying as hell.

And your ridiculous assumptions that people that buy more music than gear live in their parents basement or have shitty lowfi setups made you look like a huge dumbass.

As to crappy posts and post padding and what-not...We're not gonna have that sort of college-kid whiny-trash floating around here are we? I thought we left those beefs behind at Head Fi!
You know what else we left behind at Head-Fi? Holding back. I love watching idiots getting taken to task like this, keep up the good work guys (not you, trollbait).

popcorn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The guys in my office joke that I'm on a first name basis with all the major carriers. ;D

all the carriers at my office know me. "here's some more speakers for jack". They call everything I get speakers. Ironically, this week is the first time I'm actually ordering speakers and I'm having them shipped to my parents' house. It'll be easier for me to transport them from there. :)

I had Audio Advisor ship the 840a to my house. Ack, I hope it doesn't require a signature. :-\ Dumb move on my part.

Damn... I missed the DHL guy, so my player went back to the warehouse :'(
I don't know how DHL does it, but with UPS, you can reroute a package -- I used to usually have them "hold for pickup" at the UPS site -- it was actually easier for me. Eventually, I just started giving them the address of the UPS store itself, give them my name, and "hold for pickup". I found that easier than anything else.

Oh, and: bummer!

Eventually, I just started giving them the address of the UPS store itself, give them my name, and "hold for pickup". I found that easier than anything else.

Hm, so you don't have to have a box at the UPS store to do that? Thats pretty cool if you don't.

I've considered renting a box at the UPS Store due to the fact that I do order a ton of crap on the internet, I live alone, and I find a slew of packages coming through work to be a distraction. I don't know about you all, but I don't like fielding audio questions from non-audiophiles.

Yeah, it took me a couple of tries, but I finally got it right. The trick is to use the actual address of the UPS site at which you want to pick it up.

And yeah, that's pretty much the reason I wanted it that way, too. That, and being able to pick it up at my convenience. USPS will also do this, believe it or not, but of course they're not going to make the information easy to find, since they'd rather you rent a box.

The only downside is, it'll only work for UPS. I believe FedEx has the same service, but you would have to verify with them.

UPS link

The alternative is to rent a box at one of those stores, I forget which one, I think it's Mailboxes Etc., which actually let you provide a street address to shipping companies like FedEx and UPS.

Be forewarned, rerouting a package sometimes causes the shipper to be back-charged an additional fee. I used to do the whole reroute thing all the time and then one of my parts suppliers chewed me out one day asking me why I didn't just ship the package to the address I wanted instead. I guess he was getting hit with something like a $5 fee every time a package got rerouted.

DigiPete, since we live near each other and see each other at meets, I will gladly receive and hold your audio deliveries for you anytime. In fact I will provide burn in service free of charge. >:D >:D The employees here know to accept all my packages and don't touch so deliveries are safe anytime of the day. I know the FedEx, UPS, DHL an USPS Express guys on a first name basis so no prob........ :police: