Anyone In The UK

ivanrocks321

Ah - the Lake District. Perfect and Idyllic area. I've been up about 80 of the fells there (there are over 200 of them all told), and pre-covid we'd holiday there twice a year, and hire a cottage as a walking base.

It is about 5-6 hours drive from where we are.

If you plan to do some walking there, be careful. I'm a trained walk leader, and even I can get caught out!

My accent has got a lot softer after several decades away from the North East.

Geordie actually has a lot of words and phrases from the dark ages invaders from Denmark, Sweden and Norway (5% of my DNA is Norwegian). I'm gannin hyem for going home is exactly the same phonetically in Danish, as is bairn for child. Fell for hill or mountain is from the Norwegian fjell, and a splinter of wood in your finger in Geordie is a spelk, from Swedish spel to chop wood. It even lives on in science as the word spallation, in which a proton beam is smashed into a tunsten target to produce a neutron beam - the proton chops the neutron out.

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

My accent has got a lot softer after several decades away from the North East.

Geordie actually has a lot of words and phrases from the dark ages invaders from Denmark, Sweden and Norway (5% of my DNA is Norwegian). I'm gannin hyem for going home is exactly the same phonetically in Danish, as is bairn for child. Fell for hill or mountain is from the Norwegian fjell, and a splinter of wood in your finger in Geordie is a spelk, from Swedish spel to chop wood. It even lives on in science as the word spallation, in which a proton beam is smashed into a tunsten target to produce a neutron beam - the proton chops the neutron out.

No wonder it definitely was very unique from a lot of places in the UK