Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?

Elephas

Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?  

1. 1. Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?

• The one with less bass
    • The one with more bass
    • Either one would do
    • Two R10s? You must sell one to me cheap

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the R10 using Hirschs SDS-XLR. I would think the soundstage would be better than the SDS Purk has, but doubt it will equal the bass unless Hirsch has done serious mods to the voltage output. I sold the amp to Hirsch and dont remember it ever having the punch Purks amp has.

:dance:

Hey Tom, Good to "see" you!

I have done some mods to the power supply, and replaced the output caps with BlackGates. Those mods do bring up the punchiness (and drop the low end to where it belongs). I'm still running the amp at its original voltage, but Mikhail has designed a way to implement a lot of switchable voltage/bias features that I'm interested in. Now I've just got to get that circuit into the amp.

The bass on the one pr. of R10s is extremely strong. Not as much punch as the L3000, but very close. Over all better to my ears. Lots of detail and depth in the bass that the L3000 cant do.
Lies! ;)
The bass on the one pr. of R10s is extremely strong. Not as much punch as the L3000, but very close. Over all better to my ears. Lots of detail and depth in the bass that the L3000 cant do.
Hmm...seems contradictory.

:) Welcome to head-case, sorry about your thin skin!

Hey Tom, Good to "see" you!

I have done some mods to the power supply, and replaced the output caps with BlackGates. Those mods do bring up the punchiness (and drop the low end to where it belongs). I'm still running the amp at its original voltage, but Mikhail has designed a way to implement a lot of switchable voltage/bias features that I'm interested in. Now I've just got to get that circuit into the amp.

Yeah I am very interested in that too. The only 3 options my SDS doesnt have is besides crazy one off stuff. (1. Texture control. 2. bias control (Mine is also high bias since its tuned for r10) 3. the 12 volt in driver option.

purk, you also need to acquire two more R10s, one less-bass and one more-bass, and recable them with XLRs. Of course, you would also need an SDS-XLR.

Then you can let us know how the two balanced units compare with the two stock units.

Whoa, I didn't know telling other people what they need could be such a rush. ;D

purk, you also need to acquire two more R10s, one less-bass and one more-bass, and recable them with XLRs. Of course, you would also need an SDS-XLR.

Then you can let us know how the two balanced units compare with the two stock units.

Purk's already owned like a dozen different R10's this past year. Let's get him to buy something different this time...

This is my Purk haiku of the week (this is how I get him to buy all his gear):

purk, you want vinyl

round black pucks so musical

buy turntable now

Haha purk refuses to go balanced. I'm telling him he doesnt NEED an sds-xlr. A balanced zana deux (None created so far but shouldn't be too much I asked Craig but will be hot as hell) should work just fine!

I think he's done with spending anyways since he's concluded that without sds-xlr HE90 wins enough for him not to need more r10s.

Was at Purks last night and had the pleasure of an extended comparison between the two pr. of different R10s/SDS and the HEV90/HE90. Also have heard the L3000 with matching amp, and have heard it used with the SDS on several occasions. The bass on the one pr. of R10s is extremely strong. Not as much punch as the L3000, but very close. Over all better to my ears. Lots of detail and depth in the bass that the L3000 cant do.

The Orpheus was IMO opinion the best phone I have heard. A little dark in comparison to the R10s. Not quite the detail in both treble and midrange to the older R10, but nicer with both (mids and highs) of these than the new R10. The new R10 were the least refined of the three phones. I cant wait until Purks ES-1 gets here to compare the two amps with the HE90s.

As far as the R10 using Hirschs SDS-XLR. I would think the soundstage would be better than the SDS Purk has, but doubt it will equal the bass unless Hirsch has done serious mods to the voltage output. I sold the amp to Hirsch and dont remember it ever having the punch Purks amp has.

All the statements about these phones were in comparison to each other. I dont find the HE90 too dark or the newer R10 unrefined. Just in comparison to each other. I have not heard any phones as nice as any of these three.

The treble, soundstage, and midrange of the older R10 is beautiful. The same things on the newer R10 are almost as good. But the bass kills the older R10.

Purk is in a very nice place to be...........R10 or R10 with the maxed out Singlepower SDS or HE90 with the HEV90 and a Singlepower ES-1 on the way. Life must be tough. :dance:

Tom....that is my impression exactly. I really love the way the HE90 sounds...and probably prefer it slightly over both of the R10s.

Insert Quote

>:DOne more thing...Purk you need a vinyl source!!

Maybe..but not this year. :) Too much money spent already!!

Insert Quote

Whoa, I didn't know telling other people what they need could be such a rush.

:D How about do me a favor and get 2 more R10s and let us know how they respond to balanced amp? IMO, the R10 already have excellent soundstage. What they really need is a lot of power to drive them.

Purk's already owned like a dozen different R10's this past year. Let's get him to buy something different this time...

This is my Purk haiku of the week (this is how I get him to buy all his gear):

purk, you want vinyl

round black pucks so musical

buy turntable now

Hey... at least you get to hear every single pair of R10 I own/owned. Mike...what you really need to do is upgrade your SDS to the upgrade I got and get another pair of R10s. We (you, me, and Tom) know how good the R10 can really be. You really need to sell one of your L3000 and get the R10. Again, would love to vinyl, but that is another 5K right there.

Haha purk refuses to go balanced. I'm telling him he doesnt NEED an sds-xlr. A balanced zana deux (None created so far but shouldn't be too much I asked Craig but will be hot as hell) should work just fine!

I think he's done with spending anyways since he's concluded that without sds-xlr HE90 wins enough for him not to need more r10s.

Well...I want to, but going balance is just so damn expensive.

The poll has closed, thanks to everyone who voted.

It seems the vote tied at 4-4, plus 3 more indicating either one. The only conclusion I can draw from this is to recable both R10s.

To the one person who voted the last option: unfortunately I am going to recable both R10s so I can't sell one to you for cheap. As a consolation prize I offer you my L3000 for free. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I will ship it out immediately.

To the one person who voted the last option: unfortunately I am going to recable both R10s so I can't sell one to you for cheap. As a consolation prize I offer you my L3000 for free. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and credit card information and I will ship it out immediately.

Fixed. You know you can't help yourself. >:D

• 1 month later...

They recently recabled my K1000 with a replacement hardwired cable, so I think their skills can't be that bad.

The R10 with less bass still has old earpads installed, which can be taken off and thrown away. I ordered another set of earpads from Audio Cubes. Two sets of R10 earpads and one headband assembly = damn expensive! :'(

When they do the recable, I'll have the other stock R10 on hand to do a comparison. If the result sounds bad, I'll start screaming, biting, and kicking, and then maybe send some emails. :-X

I don't have a balanced amp yet, so an XLR-6.3mm adapter and single-ended amps will be used.

They recently recabled my K1000 with a replacement hardwired cable, so I think their skills can't be that bad.

The R10 with less bass still has old earpads installed, which can be taken off and thrown away. I ordered another set of earpads from Audio Cubes. Two sets of R10 earpads and one headband assembly = damn expensive! :'(

When they do the recable, I'll have the other stock R10 on hand to do a comparison. If the result sounds bad, I'll start screaming, biting, and kicking, and then maybe send some emails. :-X

I don't have a balanced amp yet, so an XLR-6.3mm adapter and single-ended amps will be used.

If you use a hot pad (like those reptile heating pads from a pet store) or some kind of heating blanket that gets to around 100 degrees rest the ear cup leather pads down on it. The adhesive will get very soft and gooey, and they will come off quite easily. Alternatively, you can use a hair dryer or heat gun if you are careful.

Just don't rip them straight off, major PITA to clean up the adhesive and stuff left behind. Also this method doesn't destroy the old ear pads.

BTW, scratchy, stiff techflex? What a great way to fucking ruin a perfectly good pair of headphones.

-Ed

Well, the local audio shop was unable to recable the R10. :(

They got the earpads off OK. These were the old earpads I was planning on replacing anyway, so it was fine even if they messed up the adhesive.

They were unable to open up the wood housings.

I asked them to install the balanced APureSound V3 cable on the L3000 instead, which turned out very well.

Now, I think I'll have to ship the two R10's for recabling, maybe one to APureSound and one to Single Power.