I finally heard the ER4S but ...

jinp6301

the design for it is horrible! My ears are still in pain from them pushing on the insides of my ears.

Excluding that, its probably the best IEM that I've heard (heard things that I didnt even hear with my 225s) even though it has for the weird sibilance and the fatiguing treble (especially with like rock songs ex. ted leo's stuff)

So the question is, what sounds like a ER4P/S with a better design that wont destroy my ears? the im716?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing is that its only on certain songs that its EXTREMELY sibilant (ex. ted leo and the pharmacists - me and mia)

btw, its straight out of a iriver ihp140 so maybe thats why? because when its amped, the sibilance goes away and its pretty fucking sweet.

slightly off topic but for portable use I should get the er4p since P is for portable right?

I found the 4p to be very detailed but no so fatiguing. A little shy on bass but still a heckuva IEM for the money. Just lost faith in the build quality when the tubes cracked after I'd babied those things. Once I lost the faith, that was it for me. Never had issues with sibilance. Are you getting a good seal? As for amping, that did help the sonics, but it didn't take long for me to tire of the portable amp deal. Just too much trouble for my tastes. You might be someone who simply doesn't dig the detail scene. Maybe you like a smoother/warmer sound? The Shures perhaps? E500's can be found pretty easily on the FS forums of late.

no, i had an extended loan of the e500s from laxx a while back. really hated them, they sounded freaking great but the lack of highs really killed it for me, even though it had its moments with some piano pieces and some rock songs

I really like the er4s even with its shortcomings. Coming from the grado camp, the sound sig is pretty much what I wanted from an IEM. and I really cant carry a portable amp either (even though the XP amp is pretty sweet), the iriver is already too big as it is. I was talking about amping with a Little Dot II+ in my previous comment.

ah well, I'll just get the er4p or the im716 since its cheaper?

I got tired of the dongle on the im716 and since the family went shopping today, I had some peace and quiet so I did the podectomy described on the other site. Tried several resistors and finally settled on the 47 ohm. Really nice result and a more balanced presentation. If you've got any skill at all with a soldering iron, it's an easy thing to do so and gives you a chance to experiment and tailor the sound to your liking. They're pretty cheap compared to the ety's and they seem to be a bit more sturdy/durable. For the $$, that's what I did.

• 3 weeks later...

ok I finally got the im716. The pod is so effing annoying I better do a poderectomy (sp?) ASAP. The sound is definitely less detailed then the er4s but its similar. Definitely doesnt have the same extension in both ends like the etys. Its definitely a keeper for $60 shipped tho.

Only problem, the tube for the tips is slightly bigger then the ety tube so getting the shure olive foamies was the biggest pain in the ass ever

• 1 month later...

Now I feel like an ass for crapping in jinp's thread, because I'm thinking about picking up a pair of ER-4Ps. :) For listening to out of a portable source (currently 1g shuffle) when I'm at the coffee shop reading. The price point and sound signature are attractive. Primarily I'd be listening to jazz/classical, maybe some electronic instrumental (I have a hard time reading when listening to anything with vocals).