Portable DAC/amp

DigiPete

after hearing Iron Dreamers apogee mini dac I was shocked at how good it sounded.

I thought, if I could do half as well with the emu 0404 usb,

it would be a great improvement over my f***ing shitty laptop sound (noise) card,

and the meciocre sound at my work desktop.

Looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Imo none of the Meier products kick anything. They at best play limp ass footsy.

I am glad Jan Meier hooked up the HE90 group buy, but yeah,...

I used to think the Opera was a good buy but really looking back at it... it was only because it was an amp/dac combo in one. The amp is a thin sounding beast at best. 3 channel topology does nothing for it. The DAC is completely un-noteworthy.

The Corda being the other product I've heard is also profoundly mehhhh and very similar sounding but less. I can't imagine that any of his amps particularly break the mold defined by the two samples I've tried.

Imo none of the Meier products kick anything. They at best play limp ass footsy.

I am glad Jan Meier hooked up the HE90 group buy, but yeah,...

I used to think the Opera was a good buy but really looking back at it... it was only because it was an amp/dac combo in one. The amp is a thin sounding beast at best. 3 channel topology does nothing for it. The DAC is completely un-noteworthy.

The Corda being the other product I've heard is also profoundly mehhhh and very similar sounding but less. I can't imagine that any of his amps particularly break the mold defined by the two samples I've tried.

Hah, I'm happy someone agrees with me. I've heard the HA-2, Aria, and Porta Corda for a few hours; none were impressive. I consider Meier to be a good engineer; I don't particularly care for his engineering style (design choices) and have the opinion that the sonic characteristics of his amps are bland and dry.

Hah, I'm happy someone agrees with me. I've heard the HA-2, Aria, and Porta Corda for a few hours; none were impressive. I consider Meier to be a good engineer; I don't particularly care for his engineering style (design choices) and have the opinion that the sonic characteristics of his amps are bland and dry.

yay at least 2 people agree with me when I feel that the meier amps are too thin, and dry

Yeah I mean I am all about the analytical sound, but I don't think his signature qualifies at all. By thin, i don't even think it is just lacking in body but there isn't much detail to compensate so there it is thin on all levels. If you want to stay away from being over-lush you gotta be doing it to reveal details that normally would be hidden by the lushness otherwise what's the point?