Me and my Zana Deux (+ pics)...

mulveling

Yeah the Zana Deux is an amazing value. Imo, though you think the SDS sounds warm/lush compared.. you can plug in some diff tubes and right now mine sounds amazingly clear and analytical. I'd say more so than the Zana Deux which when I had them side by side Zana Deux sounded warmer.

I ended up giving the adapter i was going to send to you back to Mikhail, but i'd really urge you to get or check out a 2C51 adapter for the driver position. Also if you throw in some 6BL7 Sylvania or other GTs... then you get the kind of sound I'm talking about.

You're absolutely right, and that makes it very difficult to do a thorough comparison of tube amps - I only have a very modest variety tubes on hand, and nowhere near what some of the collectors can boast. Hence, take my impressions with a grain of salt :)

The tubes I've been using in the prototype SDS are Tung-Sol D-getter 5687 outputs and a Tung-Sol round plate 6sn7 input. Yep, I'm behind the curve on the latest trends for Singlepower owners (mine is not yet modified to run more robust tubes at higher voltages), but those are the best I've heard my amp thus far. Using a trio of 6sn7 doesn't allow the power to drive certain low impedance tubes (especially HP2 and R10, unless you can handle the heavily distorted bass - at least it's relatively euphonic distortion). Using a trio of EH 6sn7 did change the tonality to a more SS-like flavor. Still sounded pretty good, but not my favorite for the amp.

Currently I'm using in the Zana Deux exactly as I've received it - TungSol rectifiers, and a chrome-top short bottle Sylvania 6SL7. I have more 6SL7 tubes on the way, though - TungSol round plate, KenRad, and RCA :)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're absolutely right, and that makes it very difficult to do a thorough comparison of tube amps - I only have a very modest variety tubes on hand, and nowhere near what some of the collectors can boast. Hence, take my impressions with a grain of salt :)

The tubes I've been using in the prototype SDS are Tung-Sol D-getter 5687 outputs and a Tung-Sol round plate 6sn7 input. Yep, I'm behind the curve on the latest trends for Singlepower owners (mine is not yet modified to run more robust tubes at higher voltages), but those are the best I've heard my amp thus far. Using a trio of 6sn7 doesn't allow the power to drive certain low impedance tubes (especially HP2 and R10, unless you can handle the heavily distorted bass - at least it's relatively euphonic distortion). Using a trio of EH 6sn7 did change the tonality to a more SS-like flavor. Still sounded pretty good, but not my favorite for the amp.

Currently I'm using in the Zana Deux exactly as I've received it - TungSol rectifiers, and a chrome-top short bottle Sylvania 6SL7. I have more 6SL7 tubes on the way, though - TungSol round plate, KenRad, and RCA :)

At least try 6BX7's, they sounded great when I had my toaster mpx3, even though it probably didn't have enough power to run them optimally. I'd like to see how a maxed out sp amp compares to the zana.

Also, there's another development that Mikhail mentioned to me while we were at Dennys way after the meet (Vaporware at this point) I need to tell you about later Mike ;p

I think this will be exciting for you heehee, will add a whole new dimension to all his amps (mpx3/ppx/extreme/supra/sds/es-1/everything) and you won't even have to send them in for this ubertweak/upgrade.... provided it comes out :)

It's Mikhail he always has a ton of things in the works, though most of them don't see the light of day or take years to ;)

If I were him I'd be way more concerned about filling orders in a timely manner than creating new products to further fragment his lineup. Salty's been waiting, what, 10 months for his amp and Mikhail's managed to make, 50+ Extremes in that time? ???

If I were him I'd be way more concerned about filling orders in a timely manner than creating new products to further fragment his lineup. Salty's been waiting, what, 10 months for his amp and Mikhail's managed to make, 50+ Extremes in that time? ???

Thats the way it goes unfortunately custom stuff just takes ages. I really think any custom work he should automatically quote a 1 yr delivery date. Sure he might lose some orders because of that but at least the buyer would have a better idea of what they are getting into.

I really think any custom work he should automatically quote a 1 yr delivery date. Sure he might lose some orders because of that but at least the buyer would have a better idea of what they are getting into.

Amen to that, on the rare occasion that I agree to build something for someone the first condition is that I do it when I can do it. For me it's a matter of since I'm not getting paid I don't really want to feel any pressure.

Of course what Mikhail really needs to do is clone himself so that he can spend the countless hours on the phone that he probably does hand-holding buyers through the custom design process and actually building the stuff that he designs. I've seen his email inbox, sweet jesus I do not envy him.

Icarium,

The tube you need to try with your headphones and your next-and-coming-R10 is the GE 12AY7. You will be vey surprised how good this tube sound. I've tried the Tungol 2c51, Western Electric 2c51, and Raytheon 6414 and the GE 12AY7 is best of any tube I've tried. The 2C51 is very bass heavy but can sound a little roll off in treble. The 12AY7 has excellent bass, midrange and beutiful and very layered soundstage. The Tungsol D-getter on Mike's SDS is not bad but the 2c51, 6414, and 12AY7 are atleast a step of two better interms of refinement and sound quality.

Mike,

Nice pictures man. I really need to make a trip over to your place to listen to those beautiful gears.

6SU7.... 6su7.... 6sU7.... 6Su7.... O0

btw: tung sol rectifiers????? where'd those come from...

Where do I plug the 6su7, into the Zana or the SDS? I'm really clueless here :P

The Tung Sol rectifiers are what I received with my Zana - they have "322PK3" and "Made In the U.S.A." printed on 'em.

At least try 6BX7's, they sounded great when I had my toaster mpx3, even though it probably didn't have enough power to run them optimally. I'd like to see how a maxed out sp amp compares to the zana.

I've been meaning to pick some of those 6BX7's up; I'm likely to pull trigger any day now...

Also, there's another development that Mikhail mentioned to me while we were at Dennys way after the meet (Vaporware at this point) I need to tell you about later Mike ;p

I think this will be exciting for you heehee, will add a whole new dimension to all his amps (mpx3/ppx/extreme/supra/sds/es-1/everything) and you won't even have to send them in for this ubertweak/upgrade.... provided it comes out :)

Dan, that sounds great, hope it materializes! Can't wait to hear about it.

Oh yeah? Didn't realize. Which one brings out the most details?

Honestly, that's really hard question to answer, epecially becasue the BX7s are so neutral, so if you have a really lush gain tube like a RCA 6sn7gt, then it will sound lush, if you use a TS clear glass grey plate then well it will have better detail retrieval.

Ok, I'm trying to keep track of everyone's tube recs :-\

When I was hanging out with purk listening to his he90, after a few hours he was like "leave now", and I was like "no", so he had to pay me off with some Amperex PQ 7119's to get me to leave ;)

Anyways, I just listened to the Michael Jackson "Bad" LP on the HD650 + SDS w/ 7119 outputs and HOLY SHIT that was amazing. Luckily my Zana's 6SL7 tubes should be arriving any day now....this will be one hell of a duel :)

Where do I plug the 6su7, into the Zana or the SDS? I'm really clueless here :P

The Tung Sol rectifiers are what I received with my Zana - they have "322PK3" and "Made In the U.S.A." printed on 'em.

I've been meaning to pick some of those 6BX7's up; I'm likely to pull trigger any day now...

Dan, that sounds great, hope it materializes! Can't wait to hear about it.

tung sol 6su7, black glass brown/maroon base tube goes into Zana Deux.

When I was hanging out with purk listening to his he90, after a few hours he was like "leave now", and I was like "no", so he had to pay me off with some Amperex PQ 7119's to get me to leave ;)

Anyways, I just listened to the Michael Jackson "Bad" LP on the HD650 + SDS w/ 7119 outputs and HOLY SHIT that was amazing. Luckily my Zana's 6SL7 tubes should be arriving any day now....this will be one hell of a duel :)

Yeah right... Keep stealing stuff from me. ;)

Just wait till you get the 6bl7 or 6bx7's for outputs ;)