akg 701

Guest sacd lover

Geez, am I the only one who hasn't heard the new AKG's? Pittsburgh really needs to have a meet once the weather gets better. Maybe those hellions from Ohio can come join us too ;) Well...those that are welcome at least :o

I'm really falling behind...it's hard being a college student and a Headcase at the same time...but I should have a new DAC to play around with soon enough.

I'm ordering a pair today. I liked them a lot listening on my setup, which I am quite familiar with. I figure this is the most important test, so I know I'll enjoy them.

Oddly enough, I didn't like the Dynamite/701 setup -- this surprised me a lot. I generally like Gilmore amps a lot. I liked the Dynahi that I heard a lot, but more some reason the Dynamite/701 combination had an odd coloration to me. Perhaps it was the source, but I didn't like something in the chain.

I'd be interested in a comparison, under ideal (QUIET), conditions between the HP-2s and the the 701... (hint hint)

Here's an odd one. I really liked the K-701 on first listen, and thought it a major improvement over previous AKG headphones. Amp was Wheatfield HA-2. However, I haven't been able to catch the same magic on other amps. I'm probably going to balance it to see what the SDS-XLR can do with it. However, on any amp but the Wheatfield, I'd take the HD-650 over the K-701, at least right now (until I can get to Guitar Center for a pair of three pin connectors...) ;)