Go long!

Dusty Chalk

what i meant was that bose is the popular overhyped brand of mid-fi, b&w of hi-fi...again, whatever that means, just trying to be "clever"...anyway

i've owned 3 different pairs of b&w's over the years and have heard their entire high-end line for many hours at a time (both the old nautilus "non-d" stuff and the newer "d" stuff)....

so i guess you idiots needs me to append "this is what i think and is my opinion" to everything i post?

clearly you assume i was trying to argue some sort of fact about their speakers...actually i was talking about my impressions of their place in hi-fi gear and their relative sound quality as i see/hear it.

mjb

clarifying, backpedaling...whatever you want to call it.

just because i share an opinion with a majority of a few of the snootier audio sites, doesn't make it less true for me....btw, i still think b&w's speakers are overpriced for the relative sound they produce, coming from having owned and heard them.

maybe my impressions are tainted by the mob, but when it comes down to it, i like other stuff much better and have a hard time understanding what makes their speakers so great.

mjb

I really like the 803Ds.

Good, but there are three speakers in the same price range that come to mind which I'd take over them any day (SF Cremona, ProAc D80, JMLabs Diva Utopia Be). I guess it comes down to sound preference. They are a significant step up from the 803S though.

If I were looking for a stylish, (most likely) good sounding iPod integrated stereo/dock, then the Zeppelin would definitely make the shortlist. I'm not getting the B&W hate. They're not that overpriced.

yeah...i'll backpedal a bit more and say that the bose statement was a bit harsh, because b&w's do have some fine sounding speakers (after all, i have spent many thousands on their gear)...i probably should have said something like, they would consistently earn a 4.0 on the headroom scale for great sound but a bit lopsided price/performance ratio.

mjb

the 803D's are 8k (probably can find them a little cheaper though)...

mjb

$8k would be quite a nice price for the 803D. The (official) dealer in Hong Kong sells for around $9-10k. I don't think you'd be able to get them any cheaper unless you buy a full system from them, in which case they'd probably give you 10-20% off the system retail price.