Good Source of Silver Wire

n_maher

I'm building a couple of cables for a friend and he'd like them to be made of solid silver. My first thought was to buy some of Homegrown Audio's prebraided silver wire. It's not the cheapest but it is the easiest route to good looking silver cables in my opinion. And for what's it worth I've done the google thing and seen some stuff like VH Audio offers which is actually more than HGA. The first couple of pages of links that I found yielded nothing useful so here at am, at the mercy of your help. :) My only other experience buying bulk silver wire (from a GB on head-fi) wasn't particularly good so I'm wondering if any one wants to point me in the direction of a good supplier. Anything in the 22 to 24ga should work just fine and either pre-braided or bulk would be something I'd consider.

Any tips for threading the wire through the insulation? Handmade makes it sound like anything over a couple of feet could be problematic unless you upsize the covering. I only need 1M interconnects so I'm torn whether or not to go with the 20ga teflon vs. 22ga to use with 22ga wire.

Thanks again.

Any tips for threading the wire through the insulation? Handmade makes it sound like anything over a couple of feet could be problematic unless you upsize the covering. I only need 1M interconnects so I'm torn whether or not to go with the 20ga teflon vs. 22ga to use with 22ga wire.

You don't. Get a bottle of insulating enamel and paint the silver wires, making them into insulated magnet wires. Then make them into these.

• 1 month later...

The Ven Haus cable (Jupiter) is very good but the best you can get is Audio Consulting unless you are willing to have something specially made or you can find some of the age annealed Kondo wire. Thinner is better with silver wire and stay away from Teflon like the plague unless it is several numbers larger then the wire.