Laptop Advice Needed

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had an ibook two years ago, and the lobo went out a couple weeks after the 1 year warranty ended. Apple wanted $800 to fix it, blah. I bought a big ass HP 17" widescreen monitor after that. I gamed REAL heavy on it (this was when I discovered WoW), and after about 6 months started to get these wavy blue lines on my monitor. Turned out the graphics card had gotten so hot it had kind of melted itself. HP Customer Service was kick ass, real nice lady helped me all the way through. Boxed up, shipped out on Monday, had it back by Thursday. Next computer I bought was a desktop, Velocity Micro. Its the best computer I've ever bought.

I don't see myself ever going back to Mac because a) price and B) games. I'm not much of a gamer, really, but I at least want the option of hopefully finding an MMORPG that will grip me like WoW used to.

Nate, if I was you I'd go Dell and get the 3-4 year warranty.

WOW is a very addicting game indeed. I should know as I was the main hunter puller in MC for a while. In any case, our company has HP laptops and they have been fine. I know a lot of people with Dells and HPs. A few have Lenovos and they perform beautifully and have great durability. Also, I have a HP 17" laptop with HD DVD built in and I'm very happy with it. I use it for home and work. I had Vista Ultimate, but I uninstalled it and put on Windows XP Pro. I also have a Sony laptop that is working well, but I notice from others that owned them that they don't last as long as the IBMs and Toshibas. There are some Toshiba's that used to have Windows 2000 Professional when they were shipped and now have XP Pro and are still working. Overall I've been happy with my HP and Sony laptop. I also had a Toshiba laptop and a Toshiba Tablet. I sold both and they are still working as well with their current owners. Best of luck on your laptop search.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, back to the original topic of this thread, namely me. :)

I've pretty much come to the decision that as much as I might love a pimptastic 17" Dell XPS or MacBook Pro it just isn't going to be in the cards any time soon. So, in light of that here's the Lenovo T61p that I'm currently giving serious consideration. My hesitation is that I don't know enough to know whether or not it'll be able to handle the gaming that I have planned for it. Suggestions welcome and appreciated, as always.

System Configuration:

System Processor: Intel? Core? 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Operating System Language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English

Display Panel: 15.4 WUXGA TFT

System graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB Open GL)

Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

Keyboards: Keyboard US English

Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)

Hard Drive: 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Optical device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim

System expansion slots: PC Card Slot & Smart Card Slot

Card Reader: 4 in 1 Media Card Reader

Wireless cards: ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN

Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery

Ok, back to the original topic of this thread, namely me. :)

I've pretty much come to the decision that as much as I might love a pimptastic 17" Dell XPS or MacBook Pro it just isn't going to be in the cards any time soon. So, in light of that here's the Lenovo T61p that I'm currently giving serious consideration. My hesitation is that I don't know enough to know whether or not it'll be able to handle the gaming that I have planned for it. Suggestions welcome and appreciated, as always.

blah blah blah

looks good, how much is it gonna be?

There's been so many problems with software for Vista, that they've begun shipping image CD's so that you can fall back to XP just by calling customer service and getting a "switch on" code. You might (a) find out if that's an option; (B) see if there's a cost difference; © give Vista a try. If I had had that option when I got my last computer, I would've. It should be free, since the different operating system configurations (otherwise same computer) was the exact same price.

It should be free, since the different operating system configurations (otherwise same computer) was the exact same price.

Except that I'm sure in Msoft's head you now own two licenses of their software. I'm probably going to go with XP as the proven, more reliable option. I've already got a free upgrade to Vista as previously mentioned should I ever want to.

looks good, how much is it gonna be?

I've got a connection at IBM so I'm looking at about $300 less than what you'd see on the website. :dance: That makes it even more of a no-brainer really. Can any one tell me if it'd be possible to upgrade the video card later, I don't quite understand how the different laptops work, some with integrated graphics, some with cards that use VRAM and others with dedicated ram. I assume that like a desktop somewhere on the mother board is a slot where I could put a more robust graphics card if I wanted to, but that's a major assumption on my part.

i'm 99.99999% sure that the graphics card is soldered on to the board and can't be upgraded. integrated really means "integrated into the chipset," as opposed to a "discrete" card that, with laptops, is usually soldered on, but isn't part of the core logic.

Aha, the card on this lappy is billed as a "discrete" card so I'll work of the assumption that replacing/upgrading really isn't an option.

Welcome to the world of "you're not buying a mac" :)

Well, last night I revisited MAC land to see if abandoning the 17" screen requirement would allow to reconsider. Even buying a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro represents about a 33% price increase over the Lenovo, which I just fail to be able to justify.

I was just talking about the ever changing configurations. The value proposition for mac is the macbook + external display. But it helps to not be tied to "must have the best performance". I try to get as long as possible from my computer purchases, so I buy 1 generation old, and try and keep them for 2-4 years. I also value small way more than fast.

I was just talking about the ever changing configurations. The value proposition for mac is the macbook + external display. But it helps to not be tied to "must have the best performance". I try to get as long as possible from my computer purchases, so I buy 1 generation old, and try and keep them for 2-4 years. I also value small way more than fast.

Yeah, the ever-changing config this is a bitch - I expected it out of Dell/Gateway/HP but for some reason thought that Lenovo/IBM was a little different.

And I'm trying not to shoot for the bleeding edge with this laptop, just to get something that will serve my current needs and have enough left in the tank so that it doesn't obsolete itself in a year or two. If they made a 15" Macbook I'd take a long hard look, but I don't think that 13, especially in widescreen aspect ratios would cut it.

• 3 weeks later...