New Speaker Rig Suggestions

tkam

I'm currently using a PrimaLuna Prologue One to drive a pair of Green Mountain Audio Europa's. I've actually been using that setup more than my headphone rig as of late so I figure its time I put some more money into it. I plan to upgrade both the speakers and the amp but I'd like to do the speaker upgrade first. Here's a few links to speakers I'm currently considering:

GMA Callisto - http://greenmountainaudio.com/Speakers/Callisto/Welcome.htm

Seas Odin MK3 - http://www.madisound.com/odinmk3.html

Selah Audio SA-1 - http://www.selahaudio.com/id46.html

Thoughts on those or any other suggestions are welcome ;D. Oh any recommendations need to be bookshelf/stand mount speakers.

On terms of your sound from the speakers..what do you want more of? what do you want them to sound like/do?

Those speakers are very different from eachother.

will you be using a sub? how important is Fq response?

how large is your room? how are you going to have them setup? distance? sound treatment?

I actually really like the Europa's they sound effortless and are not fatuiging at all. I would like better bass response and a more dynamic sound though. I will not be using a sub so good bass response is important. The room isn't too large its about 10x16 with 7ft ceilings and the speakers are setup on the 16 ft wall. They are roughly 8ft apart and about 18" out from the wall. My usual seating position is about 7-8ft away.

if your looking at diy kits

look here

http://www.gr-research.com/kits/av4.htm

http://www.rawacoustics.com/

These guys are getting huge personal reviews on AC!

I would love to build one of their kits but I want something that goes in the low 20's if I do anything.

also since you were looking at pricey book shelves look at the Dynaudio speical 25...they are books and go into the 35hz range...thats more then a full sound.

You have a decent distance between you and the speakers, I would personly would go floorstanders. I have dyna's but their are so many out there..

also since you were looking at pricey book shelves look at the Dynaudio speical 25...they are books and go into the 35hz range...thats more then a full sound.
That's what I have. I wasn't going to recommend them, because they seemed out of his pricerange. But yeah, easily the best "bookshelf" sized speakers, ever, anywhere.

Tkam>After a long weekend searching UK websites I have found a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C5. This is a behemoth of a speaker and I had the pleasure of hearing one a while back and i really liked it.

Anyways it cost ?3500 and the retail was ?9000 which makes it $6800 compared to it;s $17000 retail.

Although I must admit it has piqued my interest...

Thanks Mike but thats just a tad bit out of my price range ;). The dynaudio contour 3.4's look very interesting though I'll have to keep an eye out for a decently priced used pair.

I've pretty much decided that I'd like my new speakers to be ... non-fatuiging, have strong bass response, and be on the warm side of things.

It'd probably help if I mention my budget which is roughly $3000 or so and I've decided that floor-standers will also be considered

I've seen some great deals on used Dyn's on Agon, and I'm a huge fan of them. If you haven't heard a pair, I'd highly recommend taking a listen to some if there is a local dealer near you. I've often considered upgrading from my Audience 70s...but my money keeps disappearing. ;D

Thanks Mike but thats just a tad bit out of my price range ;). The dynaudio contour 3.4's look very interesting though I'll have to keep an eye out for a decently priced used pair.

I've pretty much decided that I'd like my new speakers to be ... non-fatuiging, have strong bass response, and be on the warm side of things.

It'd probably help if I mention my budget which is roughly $3000 or so and I've decided that floor-standers will also be considered

That sounds alot like Paul Candy's description in his review of the Zu Tone, and he also compares them to the Callisto.

I shall forgo the usual blow-by-blow menu list of the Tones' sonic attributes and get right to the point. Above all else, if you dig directness, coherence, speed and dynamics plus a warmish tonal balance, you've found your next pair of speakers.