Speaker Cable Recommendations

jinp6301

So, my dad finalized his choice of source + speaker + amps (Accuphase DP-500 + B&W 803D + McIntosh MC402 Power amp/McIntosh C45 Pre-amp)

so he needs a decent pair of speaker cables and xlr interconnects. My speaker guy is pushing Tara Labs and Cardas, but like spending $3000+ on wires is just too much imo. Any suggestions? or should I get cheap Blue Jeans for everything and upgrade later?

or should I get cheap Blue Jeans for everything and upgrade later?
Well...it's not so much about "for now" vs. "later" as IMHO cables are more subjective than just about anything else, and he should try things. There is a good chance that he will like Blue Jeans (or something else of similar ilk), so yeah, he should try those first. I would also throw White Zombie and Anti-Cables out as supposedly good entry level options (although I have personal experience with neither). Those are a couple that I've been meaning to try myself. I also have tried Pure Silver Sound Quartet interconnects myself, and have been very happy with them. I've been meaning to try their speaker cables, although I'll probably go with White Zombie's.

Well...it's not so much about "for now" vs. "later" as IMHO cables are more subjective than just about anything else, and he should try things. There is a good chance that he will like Blue Jeans (or something else of similar ilk), so yeah, he should try those first. I would also throw White Zombie and Anti-Cables out as supposedly good entry level options (although I have personal experience with neither). Those are a couple that I've been meaning to try myself. I also have tried Pure Silver Sound Quartet interconnects myself, and have been very happy with them. I've been meaning to try their speaker cables, although I'll probably go with White Zombie's.

the thing is that its really hard to audition cables then anything else. It would be great if we can get like 5 or 6 sets of cables and try them out, but I dont think it'll be possible unless someone loans us some.

I think one of the problems are that I dont really understand what the difference in cables are. Like what makes a $3000 cable worth $2700 over a $300 cable?

maybe im just stupid?

I just fail to understand how some of these cable companies justify their costs...

So I guess I'll send what others have said, try some of the lesser expensive cables (Blue Jeans, Anti, etc) and see how your dad likes them. Me, I've tried some of the MIT Terminator line but found that both the anti-cables and DIY stuff sounded considerably better at a fraction of the cost.

I just fail to understand how some of these cable companies justify their costs...

So I guess I'll send what others have said, try some of the lesser expensive cables (Blue Jeans, Anti, etc) and see how your dad likes them. Me, I've tried some of the MIT Terminator line but found that both the anti-cables and DIY stuff sounded considerably better at a fraction of the cost.

what I wanted to hear!!! the only upside is that our speaker store is going out of business or moving or something so they're having like a 75% off all cables so like the Tara Labs and MIT stuff is still pretty cheap compared to retail

the thing is that its really hard to audition cables then anything else. It would be great if we can get like 5 or 6 sets of cables and try them out, but I dont think it'll be possible unless someone loans us some.
There's this activity called "flipping". You buy something on the used market, and that's how you audition it. If you don't like it, you sell it. It's that simple.
I think one of the problems are that I dont really understand what the difference in cables are. Like what makes a $3000 cable worth $2700 over a $300 cable?
Pffft. Usually, they're not. You're definitely getting into the point of diminishing returns when you talk those numbers. So it's not that anyone who buys a US$3K cable actually believes they're 10 times better than a US$300 cable, it's that he believes they are some small amount better, and that he is willing to invest the extra dosh for that little bit better, because to them, they have a mental threshold of "better" that they want to surpass, and they believe they can afford it.

There's this activity called "flipping". You buy something on the used market, and that's how you audition it. If you don't like it, you sell it. It's that simple.

That'll what my dad will probably do. I always forget that my dad has more money then I do.

Pffft. Usually, they're not. You're definitely getting into the point of diminishing returns when you talk those numbers. So it's not that anyone who buys a US$3K cable actually believes they're 10 times better than a US$300 cable, it's that he believes they are some small amount better, and that he is willing to invest the extra dosh for that little bit better, because to them, they have a mental threshold of "better" that they want to surpass, and they believe they can afford it.

The thing is, is the $3000 cable "better" then the $300 cable or just "different"? I still have a hard time to understand what the difference in the materials, labor, basically anything that differs from the $300 to the $3000 cables.

The thing is, is the $3000 cable "better" then the $300 cable or just "different"?
It depends which $300 cable and which $3000 cable you're talking about. There are some right good $300 cables, and I have another threshold called "ah can has no monies" that prevent me from even trying $3000 cables, so I couldn't honestly tell you. I also have another threshold called "ahm def", which keeps me out of golden ears territory, but I do honestly believe that there are people who can hear better than I do, and to them, there are certainly better cables at higher price points that they are willing to pay. To me, once you get past a certain point, I stop being able to tell them apart -- they're not even different. I don't see the point in me paying more than that. But I do see the point in someone else paying that, if they can hear a difference.

And yes, you're right, once you get into stratospheric prices, there is a certain amount of truth to the fact that they stop being so much "better" and start being just "different" -- Cardas has their house sound cables such as the Golden Reference, and they have there less house sound cables such as the Neutral Reference, just to cater to different tastes.

Also: UsedCable.com -- in addition to the usual suspects, audiogon, etc. Audiogon is a favorite for cable flippers, so the selection will be better there.

It depends which $300 cable and which $3000 cable you're talking about. There are some right good $300 cables, and I have another threshold called "ah can has no monies" that prevent me from even trying $3000 cables, so I couldn't honestly tell you. I also have another threshold called "ahm def", which keeps me out of golden ears territory, but I do honestly believe that there are people who can hear better than I do, and to them, there are certainly better cables at higher price points that they are willing to pay. To me, once you get past a certain point, I stop being able to tell them apart -- they're not even different. I don't see the point in me paying more than that. But I do see the point in someone else paying that, if they can hear a difference.

And yes, you're right, once you get into stratospheric prices, there is a certain amount of truth to the fact that they stop being so much "better" and start being just "different" -- Cardas has their house sound cables such as the Golden Reference, and they have there less house sound cables such as the Neutral Reference, just to cater to different tastes.

Also: UsedCable.com -- in addition to the usual suspects, audiogon, etc. Audiogon is a favorite for cable flippers, so the selection will be better there.

ok sounds good. I think I'm gonna go for a blue jean cable or something cheap in the starting and then maybe upgrade down the line if there seems like theres something missing.

• 1 month later...

I would go with Dustys recommendation of the anti-cables. They are very, very, good. the price is great. I have two friends with very $$$$systems that prefer them over anything else they have tried in there systems. When you get ready to try the high dollar stuff. I have used and like the Siltechs and Audioquest. Buying Used is the way to go IMO.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm David213 from England and I'm new to Head-case so I hope that you get this message, regarding cables I use JPS superconductor 3 balanced interconnects and although they're not the best JPS do [ Aluminata are the best JPS do ], apart from Aluminata I believe JPS superconductor 3's are second to none, JPS are also an American company aswell, if you are interested their website is JPS Labs - Worlds Finest audio video and ac power cables and accessories. .

David.