XLR interconnect recommendations

postjack

Time to start thinking about getting some XLR interconnects. Anybody want to drop some names so I can do some research? I really like the DiMarzo M-Path's I bought from Jacob, but M-Paths are not available with XLR connections. So basically I'm looking for a cable that leans toward the syrupy and warm.

It would be a big plus if they have canary yellow diamonds in there somewhere, but this is not a steadfast requirement.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, like these?

DSC_1583_resize.JPG

Sorry about the lack of diamonds, my parts budget is limited.

looks good, I'll be in touch!

Don't worry about the diamonds, I'm sure Stephen will have some leftover from my beta22. I was going to get the entire case encrusted in them, but I guess I could keep the back panel un-encrusted so I have some leftover to superglue to my interconnects.

• 1 month later...

i really like my pair of audio quest jaguar XLRs. they are all copper and have a nice warm and very full sound but with good detail. they cost $350 new for a 1M pair, but since AQ recently came out with their new river series (columbia, colorado, niagra), the Jaguars and others in that line (panther and cheetah) can be had for much cheaper. i paid $150 for mine, brand new, off a seller on ebay. i have seen good prices for them on audiogon as well.

however, always curious about other cables, i recently purchased a used pair of nordost heimdalls. many reviews have compared them favorably to the much more expensive valhallas, so i am very curious to hear them.

too late! already placed an order for special nate jeans MOT XLRs. they are 100% dual mono 99.9992% oxygen free mithril, with NO teflon (to avoid time smearage).

Sucker... non-teflon coated mithril may avoid time smearage, but you're going to have to deal with sub-atomic harmonics. Everyone knows that mithril creates tiny reverberatory acoustic spaces on the sub-atomic level. This causes the electrons to accelerate beyond the speed of light momentarily and then slow down so it creates a static-warp shell around your cables. The result: You'll hear old Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes interfering with your signal. in syndication too.

I'm a big fan of Kimber, and most of their line is available in XLR. I have 1M PBJcs and uh... 4M Toniks (meant for powered monitors that I still haven't purchased two years later.) I'm very happy with the sound of Kimber's stuff, and their price/performance is very good (especially if you buy used) but be wared their cables are fragile. Most have zero strain relief. This is less of an issue with XLR than RCA, but none of them will respond well to rough handling. I also have some Cardas *mumble* XLRs, which are tanklike in comparison.

I just got some XLR/TRS cables for the Fuglyphone rig from Blue Jeans Cable. Their stuff is 100% zero-bullshit and 0% sex appeal. I opted for the Canare Star Quad with Neutrik termination (of course.) I've had them in my rig for oh, about five minutes now so I can't properly evaluate them, but are far better than what they replaced (Monster DJs... ugh.)