USB -> Toslink/Coaxial

postjack

Before its over with, I'll own a CDP with a digital input. My computer is on the opposite side of the room from my rig. Currently I have a long USB cable running from the computer to the back of the Aqvox. Whenver the Aqvox gets replaced, I'll need something to do the USB -> Toslink/Coaxial thing. The name I remember the most from researching this kind of thing a while back was the M-Audio Transit. Is there any other piece I should consider?

granodemostasa likes the M-Audio Audiophile USB (that only does coax). humanflyz had the Trends Audio UD-10. Does the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (only toslink-mini) count as well?

There are more cheap options that I can think up, but I can't say whether their quality is up to Head-Case standards... :-[

I have both the E-MU0404 USB and M-Audio Transit.

The Transit has flawless, rock solid, simple drivers with bit perfect without having to use ASIO.

The E-MU has more complex drivers, and requires some monkying to get bit perfect working, but it has a lot more features compared to the Transit. I haven't compared the two side by side to see which sounds better.

well it came down to a compromise. In the world of USB -> Toslink/Coaxial devices, you can either have audiophile grade parts OR manufacturer supported drivers. I've decided this go round to opt on the side of audiophile grade parts. All these devices are so inexpensive that I'm sure one day I'll be able to try out the other side, but for the time being my positive experience with ASIO4All/Winamp and USB Dacs tells me to just stick with what I know works for me in my system. I'll either be getting the HagUSB or the Trends UD-10.

both of them have custom drivers if im not mistaken

Yup that's correct. The M-Audio drivers are extremely simple, and IIRC what Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio based his drivers off on the old Off-Ramps.

But the driverless soundcards are very nice.

The only reason I have the E-MU0404 USB is because I use it as a DAC/headphone amp at work.

Yup that's correct. The M-Audio drivers are extremely simple, and IIRC what Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio based his drivers off on the old Off-Ramps.

But the driverless soundcards are very nice.

The only reason I have the E-MU0404 USB is because I use it as a DAC/headphone amp at work.

the m-audio transit headphone out sucks?

I have both the EMU 0404 usb and the HagUSB (w/ asio4all drivers)... my take? I vastly prefer the EMU 0404 usb though I haven't used it as just an usb -> coax but as a dac as well.

Why? Well, my Hagusb has HUGE problems with snaps/crackles/pops aligning with tiny bursts of cpu usage... mainly opening applications etc. While my EMU 0404 usb with all the buffers turned on thread priority going good has 0 issues. I do the same settings and more for Hagusb.. less problems but I still expect to hear at least 3-4 crackles/pops every 4 songs.

It's very annoying. I'm probably going to buy another EMU 0404 usb and have it shipped to a modder and just use that with my Wavelength or if its mod viable at work and use my stock one at home.

• 1 month later...