Battlestar Galactica

tkam

This is killing me, I can't get on with season 4.5+ until my roomate catches up through 4 :( In the meantime I've already forgotten everything I've watched so far!!

To win world's best roomate award you wake him up really early on a Saturday and scream the names of the final 5 cylons really loud.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish I would've skipped an undetermined number of episodes at the end... I'm not sure where I would've preferred to have stopped, but there was a distinct point where I realized that despite setting the timetable to wrap things up, they didn't have a clue how they were going to do it. And what was left was a mix of character assassination, plot holes, loose ends and a general feeling of "What? That's it?" Which is hard to do when the finale has more false endings than that third LotR movie.

Part of it has to do with the expectation. I was perfectly happy with how it ended but for most people, with that much suspense for so many years, it's just impossible to have a satisfactory ending. Take Lost for example. What's the proper way to end that without disappointing anyone?

• 1 month later...

Dear Plot, Pacing and Closure,

The Committee for people who don't get hardons for convenient mystical god wank in television programs that nonetheless pride themselves on rejecting the convenient sci-fi plot device and wankery of technobabble would like to offer the Court an amicus brief generally in support of your cause. We are prepared to submit a brief of amicus curiae to the Court per FRAP 29, but wished to write this letter to you in order to state, privately, "fucking hell, worst ending ever."

Sincerely,

[above]

I would've loved it if they left the ending at the episode when they found Earth, completely desolate. Actually, because of the WGA strike, it very well could've been the ending.

Kind of like suddenly half way through a movie, everyone dies. Roll credits.

Probably why I don't get asked to direct TV shows or features. :D

• 2 months later...

holy F this show is good. I started watching it about a month ago and it's become one of my favorite shows of all time. I've always admired how the greek/roman gods represented the most wretched and the most glorious parts of ourselves. To see them portrayed as robots of our design manipulating us while we are adrift in a spaceship is wonderfully existential and right up my ally. I was so resistant to watching it thinking that it would suck but man was I wrong. I did the same thing with buffy, I gotta learn not to do that.

Yeah I thought about just renting or buying them on dvd, but I ended up just downloading them. I'll be buying them on HD-DVD when they come out. I think season 1 is hitting HD-DVD in december.
QFL.
I'm surprised they didn't get the President and the Admiral together -- sure seemed like they were heading in that direction.
QFT -- I would just like to say, I called it.
The one thing that didn't make sense to me was how, other than the ability to Resurrect, the human-type Cylon models and humans were basically equivalent and interchangeable. What exactly is the difference? If the human-Cylons could not be detected as being non-humans, could breed with humans, had all the same qualities as humans... then aren't they humans? And if that was the point, I don't see it as a reasonable one based on other premises in the show.
Yeah, this seemed inconsistent to me as well.
The one thing that didn't make sense to me was how, other than the ability to Resurrect, the human-type Cylon models and humans were basically equivalent and interchangeable. What exactly is the difference? If the human-Cylons could not be detected as being non-humans, could breed with humans, had all the same qualities as humans... then aren't they humans? And if that was the point, I don't see it as a reasonable one based on other premises in the show.
It's been done -- it was called "Bambi vs. Godzilla".

I'm with postjack -- the ending didn't suck. It was sufficiently open-ended to live up to the premise of the show, and sufficiently wrapping up that I didn't really feel there were too many loose ends. There were decisions I did not like -- I hated Baltar from the beginning, and I agree that in my mind, he gets eaten by a lion like 3 days after the last time you see him alive.

I have no idea what Starbuck is supposed to be -- a ghost with corporeal form? WTF? Oh, wait, I just remembered something. And this is funny, because I didn't pick it up when the President of the Colonies was smoking pot with the Admiral of the Fleet, I picked it up when they were abandoning Galactica, and amongst the extras a guy with a bongo drum walks by. This is a show by hippies, about hippies, for hippies. So yeah, there's going to be some mind-expanding philosophical horseshit.

Never did like that part, never will. Starbuck should have gotten together with Apollo, and fucked his brains out, they both deserve a little happiness as well. The only thing missing was the CGI fairy dust glow upon her disappearance. OH PLEASE.

But the whole thing about the cylons vs. humans, Galactica coming in right in front of the armature, guns blazing, Boomer giving one back to Adama when she owed him one, and then getting hers anyway; Chief strangling what's-her-name when he found out she killed Callie, ruining any chance of finishing the transmission, the stray nuke -- all of that wasn't climactic enough for you people? Jesus, what the hell do you want, blood? That (a) fucking rocked, (B) was certainly climactic enough for me, and © certainly wrapped up a great many loose ends.

Also, the whole thing about Baltar's purpose being to delivering the child to the CIC, "that's it?!?!?" -- that was awesome. Better than killing him.

EDIT: I'm only just now going through this whole thread, so I'll just keep appending to this post, rather than multi-part respond.

EDIT: okay, I'm done.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I thought it was really cool that they brought back someone from the dead for the 5th cylon by having her resurrect before they destroyed the resurrection hub. I was pretty much stuck on people who were alive. In order: Starbuck, Roslin, Gaeta, Adama.

And somewhere along the line, I got confused -- I thought Zarek was a cylon, and somehow people forgot he was a cylon. Now I'm going to have to watch the whole series over again.