Educational Thread Crap from What Are You Drinking Topic

DigiPete

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 asshole who studied and who isn't a moron

x2. Do your job, you don't have to blame an asshole.

its always frustrating when the average is a 55 with a standard deviation of like 3 and someone gets a 97. But yea, I dont really BLAME him, its just frustrating.

The thing thats funny is that the class I'm taking is about Biological Statistics and Data Collection shit and if this was something like lab data, the 97 would be seen as an outlier and be taken out of the curve.

its always frustrating when the average is a 55 with a standard deviation of like 3 and someone gets a 97. But yea, I dont really BLAME him, its just frustrating.

The thing thats funny is that the class I'm taking is about Biological Statistics and Data Collection shit and if this was something like lab data, the 97 would be seen as an outlier and be taken out of the curve.

Except that grading shouldn't be done on a curve. Either you learn the material or you don't. Curves are why colleges turn out morons.

My first quiz in Signals and Systems, the class average was a .01%. Everyone got a 0, except my friend who got a 20%. Now THAT's fucked up.

Except that grading shouldn't be done on a curve. Either you learn the material or you don't. Curves are why colleges turn out morons.

Yes and no. While I agree they should fail more people... some classes it is just impossible NOT to grade on a curve. When the top grade is failing, the professor should be partly held responsible.

Yes and no. While I agree they should fail more people... some classes it is just impossible NOT to grade on a curve. When the top grade is failing, the professor should be partly held responsible.

That doesn't mean the failing students should pass. Incompetent professors are not a reason to give failing students As.

bondage.gif

diet pepsi max, to get things back on track

That's not an entirely fair or accurate statement. Most of the best teachers that I know freely admit that sometimes they just make tests too hard and that the numeric score generated does not reflect the overall capability of the class. In some cases getting 70% of the answers correct might very well show a complete understanding of the material presented.

On topic: water

That's not an entirely fair or accurate statement. Most of the best teachers that I know freely admit that sometimes they just make tests too hard and that the numeric score generated does not reflect the overall capability of the class. In some cases getting 70% of the answers correct might very well show a complete understanding of the material presented.

On topic: water

Perhaps that should be reflected in how the test is graded, and not by using statistical norming? If only 1 person understands the material, the other people in the class shouldn't be rewarded.

That doesn't mean the failing students should pass. Incompetent professors are not a reason to give failing students As.

Corect, but holding back students because the professors are incompetant also inst fair. For example, we have this one CSE professor here who is an absolute genius. Wrote an entire operating system before he was 12, etc. He USED to grade like you seem to want. Fail those that fail, no curve. The problem is he expected everyone to be at his level. He was demoted because he faild too many graduating seniors (last semester), even though they appealed and passed the School's exam for that class. (We have the option to test out of any class, so they took it and passed easily). Classes like that are curved.

(I'm currently interviewing people to work on my supercomputer, and by and large the candidate pool is incompetent - know any top notch easy to get along with system administration types?)

Me?

[me=JBLoudG20]invisions Dan as a boss.. shudder[/me]

:)

But nom I dont do any sysadmin stuff.. matter of fact they dont teach any sysadmin here.

Corect, but holding back students because the professors are incompetant also inst fair. For example, we have this one CSE professor here who is an absolute genius. Wrote an entire operating system before he was 12, etc. He USED to grade like you seem to want. Fail those that fail, no curve. The problem is he expected everyone to be at his level. He was demoted because he faild too many graduating seniors (last semester), even though they appealed and passed the School's exam for that class. (We have the option to test out of any class, so they took it and passed easily). Classes like that are curved.

He gets it. Life is not fair. But perhaps they should have had him teaching classes that required more skill, and weren't being taken by morons?

BUT, if they all understand the material, but the exam was too hard, you say they should fail anyway?

If they understand the material, they should be able to demonstrate it on the test. If the test doesn't reflect the material to be understood, then the professor needs to be corrected.

(We have the option to test out of any class, so they took it and passed easily)

Then it's irrelevant how they did on other tests :) As long as the test out test isn't graded on a curve. I tested out of half of the coursework for computer science in college...it's a shame that's such an irrelevant degree :)

He gets it. Life is not fair. But perhaps they should have had him teaching classes that required more skill, and weren't being taken by morons?

If they understand the material, they should be able to demonstrate it on the test. If the test doesn't reflect the material to be understood, then the professor needs to be corrected.

Trust me Dan, the people here arent Morons.. especially in Engineering.. the further you go, the less morons there are because they DO fail out. I can speak for myself, and say that 98%^ of the time I know what I'm doing, but the professors liek to fuck with students, and give overly hard exams. They say and I quote "Its easier to curve a D to a B, then to convince the B's they have to fail because they did the worst. Its just the way the system works, bell curve. Here, if professors DONT fail a percentage, they get repremanded.

Trust me Dan, the people here arent Morons.. especially in Engineering.. the further you go, the less morons there are because they DO fail out. I can speak for myself, and say that 98%^ of the time I know what I'm doing, but the professors liek to fuck with students, and give overly hard exams. They say and I quote "Its easier to curve a D to a B, then to convince the B's they have to fail because they did the worst. Its just the way the system works, bell curve. Here, if professors DONT fail a percentage, they get repremanded.

We differ as to whether the school is doing a favor to anyone by doing that. If they like to fuck with students by giving hard exams, that doesn't mean the grading can't reflect that. Bell curves, however, cause people who don't understand the material to get rewarded, and are evil.

um water.

but yea I see both your points, but the fact is that the professor sometimes doesnt expect the class to pass and uses a super hard exam to see how intelligent the class is compared to other classes and sometimes someone gets lucky and gets above the average, its usually not intelligence, just luck.

well thats how it is in my class

We differ as to whether the school is doing a favor to anyone by doing that. If they like to fuck with students by giving hard exams, that doesn't mean the grading can't reflect that. Bell curves, however, cause people who don't understand the material to get rewarded, and are evil.

I kinda agree with you, because I know a few people who have passed classes they shouldn't have.

BUT there are a few professors here who NEED that curve. Plus the administration likes it that way.

And I'd send you a resume, but I'm already intimidated enough by you. ;)

And tenure.. YES, you hit it on the head. Although the professors I have talked about are not tenure.. there are a few MAJOR problem guys here that they cant touch.