STAX SRM-Xh offset voltage

yabba235

Hi !

I get this unit, but I'm confusing with offset voltage - I measured the output offset voltage and it is far from 0V - I do not know if these stax amplifiers have that, but mine has, respectively:
8.8V, 5.4V, 12V and -0.6V?

Electrostats are rather new to me, but here the DC voltage at the output should be close to 0V, as in conventional amplifiers?

Is it not damaged?

Does anyone have a list of the correct voltages in this model?

1 hour ago, yabba235 said:

Hi !

I get this unit, but I'm confusing with offset voltage - I measured the output offset voltage and it is far from 0V - I do not know if these stax amplifiers have that, but mine has, respectively:
8.8V, 5.4V, 12V and -0.6V?

Electrostats are rather new to me, but here the DC voltage at the output should be close to 0V, as in conventional amplifiers?

Is it not damaged?

Does anyone have a list of the correct voltages in this model?

ideally there should be no dc offset. However without an active offset servo, offset will change as the valves\transistors age and as they warm up and is to be expected. The headphones can take hundreds of volts of audio input without damage and have a very high input impedance so an offset of 10VDC or so is not a big issue since it represents a negligible current flow, will not cause any arcing and will not damage the headphones. 

Edited by jamesmking