Denon AH-D2000--big disappointment.

boomana

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a little RSA blurb in another thread... would link it, but I can't seem to locate it. :P

Anyways... The Balanced Max and the Luna are both many orders of magnitude better than the Apache. Even though I've never heard these three amps side by side, I feel confident in saying this.

One thing I will say is that I prefer the Apache to the B52, both with my K340's and Rays R10's. It actually isn't a half bad K340 amp. Both headphones sounded much better on my amp, though it would be hard to tell from the Ontario meet impressions. Everyone was so enamored with Rays stuff... it was like mass hypnotism or something.

Ray is a shrewd businessman, and a genuinely likable guy in person. Though I'd never buy one of his amps, I don't wish him any ill will. :)

what's so difficult to understand or believe? it's pretty simple. an amp that isn't designed well probably doesn't have that much potential to sound good.

Seriously. That's what I've been saying from the start. Yes sometimes shitty design can sound good through some sort of quantum voodoo that no mortal will ever understand... but that's the rare-ass edge case. That being said I have heard many of Ray's products (Tomahawk/Hornet/SR-71/Raptor/Apache/B-52)... Ray does not have the voodoo.

i honestly cannot believe what i am reading. i don't have crazy experience with gear, but i am no noob either. the apache - balanced - is clearly one of the best amps i have ever heard. at the meet, i was speaking with another head-fier who owned a 10K single power and he thought my apache sounded very good. he said it was close to his HR balanced max, another amp he owned. we both agreed that the HR balanced desktop was very unimpressive.

People who say "this amp fucking sucks donkey balls" at meets, tend not to get invited to future meets, unless that person is a celebrity or something.

there seems to be an unusually strong bias against ray's products here and i suspect it is difficult for those individuals to approach and evaluate his products fairly. the site takes the ymmv to an extreme.

Considering that people here have had expensive furniture ruined by his amps among other things, plus a fair number of us actually understand circuit design, we have reason to dislike Ray's products. RSA is basically the Bose of headphone amps.

There is a lot of truth going on. =]

i don't know about that.

i've been looking around this place. a few interesting threads. but for every 10 pages of content, if one could call it that, there is maybe 3 pages of audio discussion and the rest is swearing or other remarks that people think are witty and amusing. it seems like a little club for those who hate and want to bash products by rsa, rudi, and woo (and who also were expelled from head-fi) but who love KG stuff. and if you listen to or like the former you are a moron and your opinions are meaningless, but if you like the latter, then you know the "truth" about audio. seems like bull to me. a bunch of guys who maybe took EE 101 and think they know everything.

i don't know about that.

i've been looking around this place. a few interesting threads. but for every 10 pages of content, if one could call it that, there is maybe 3 pages of audio discussion and the rest is swearing or other remarks that people think are witty and amusing. it seems like a little club for those who hate and want to bash products by rsa, rudi, and woo (and who also were expelled from head-fi) but who love KG stuff. and if you listen to or like the former you are a moron and your opinions are meaningless, but if you like the latter, then you know the "truth" about audio. seems like bull to me. a bunch of guys who maybe took EE 101 and think they know everything.

if you don't like it, then why the fuck do you come back you idiot. it's obvious that the people here are old time head-fiers who were there before the fanboy shilling that plagues that place there. people here have quite a lot of experience with lots of equipment. sure we hate certain products, but there is good reason.

i've been looking around this place. a few interesting threads. but for every 10 pages of content, if one could call it that, there is maybe 3 pages of audio discussion and the rest is swearing or other remarks that people think are witty and amusing.

Maybe you need to stop looking the threads which were started by your fellow retards from Head-fi.

it seems like a little club for those who hate and want to bash products by rsa, rudi, and woo (and who also were expelled from head-fi)

Here's a hint even a moron can understand: In this forum, we bash products which are shit.

but who love KG stuff.

Some of us do, some of us don't, but we respect his opinions on audio design because he knows what he's talking about.

and if you listen to or like the former you are a moron and your opinions are meaningless, but if you like the latter, then you know the "truth" about audio. seems like bull to me.

This statement is so retarded that answering it is pointless.

a bunch of guys who maybe took EE 101 and think they know everything.

People who actually understand circuit design have the right to tell those who don't to go blow themselves when they start talking out of their asses.

Random comment, but I just wanted to say to all you Head-Casers who have been around for a little bit, I like to think we're a club of good friends here at H-C. We may differ in opinions, but we joke about it and it's all good fun. As stupid as it may sound, I truly appreciate talking and joking around with y'all. Many of the Head-Fiers who I enjoyed talking with and whose posts I loved to read are here. Thanks everyone for making this possible.

Respect. :)

Random comment, but I just wanted to say to all you Head-Casers who have been around for a little bit, I like to think we're a club of good friends here at H-C. As stupid as it may sound, I truly enjoy talking and joking around with y'all. Many the Head-Fiers who I enjoyed talking to and whose posts I loved to read are here. Thanks everyone for making this possible.

x2! head-case gives me that sunny bunny feeling. :)

Random comment, but I just wanted to say to all you Head-Casers who have been around for a little bit, I like to think we're a club of good friends here at H-C. As stupid as it may sound, I truly enjoy talking and joking around with y'all. Many the Head-Fiers who I enjoyed talking to and whose posts I loved to read are here. Thanks everyone for making this possible.

To be completely honest, I've never really thought of this forum as being a headphone forum, but more a forum where people who enjoy conversing together are. So I agree with you.

Luckily we don't have shilling retards populating this place yet, but I feel that with fucking Head-fi down, we got some morons coming here and telling us what we do is wrong and bullshit. If you don't like it, then go wait on sit on the edge of your seat, waiting in anticipation for head-fi to come back online. Easy as that.

Luckily we don't have shilling retards populating this place yet,

Yup, we kinda abused the fuckers and hurt their feelings, and they were never heard from again.

but I feel that with fucking Head-fi down, we got some morons coming here and telling us what we do is wrong and bullshit. If you don't like it, then go wait on sit on the edge of your seat, waiting in anticipation for head-fi to come back online. Easy as that.

Agreed. On a related note, since I haven't been to head-fi in months I have no clue who the morons are besides the ones who get pointed out by fellow head-case members. Gets a little hard to decide who needs to have a bit of sense smacked into them to straighten up and who needs to be mocked & abused until they leave.

Yup, we kinda abused the fuckers and hurt their feelings, and they were never heard from again.

Agreed. On a related note, since I haven't been to head-fi in months I have no clue who the morons are besides the ones who get pointed out by fellow head-case members. Gets a little hard to decide who needs to have a bit of sense smacked into them to straighten up and who needs to be mocked & abused until they leave.

I rarely visit the place anymore and have pretty much decided that it's worthless to spend even a few minutes there. I find that the plethora of inane rambling that goes on there makes my head hurt immensely. Plus, we got some great DIYers here who I can talk to about DIY amps if I'm ever going to be in the market for another home amp or if I want advice about a big production amp, then we got people who are clearly more knowledgeable about the equipment than 99% of the people I could talk to over there.