Balanced HD650: Which cable?

blessingx

Have read repeatedly the HD650 shows one of the largest gains in going balanced. Just curious what cable (DIY, Mobius, Blacksilver, etc.) people are going with when moving balanced? Especially curious if you have any thoughts of synergy direct from DA10. Thanks.

That would require that the single-ended cable actually had wires inside for balanced operation, which wouldn't make much sense for a single-ended cable in the first place.

However, the stock Senn replacement cables do have the needed wiring making a balanced retermination job possible.

That would require that the single-ended cable actually had wires inside for balanced operation, which wouldn't make much sense for a single-ended cable in the first place.

However, the stock Senn replacement cables do have the needed wiring making a balanced retermination job possible.

The nature of the dual entry on the Senns requires all Senn ables to have four wires. So you could reterminate any of those to XLR. I think toddy has a nice silver aloy Senn cable which might be worth checking out...its even balanced ;)

Zu Cable will reterminate for a fee, which I believe is $40.

Stefan Audi Art will NOT reterminate. I was told the configuration of their balanced and single-ended Equinox cables is different, whatever that means.

As to which I prefer? Depends on the system. I have both balanced Equinox and balanced Zu Mobius. In that past, I have owned single-ended versions of both cables. I prefer the Zu Mobius with certain tube combinations and the Equinox with others. With the HR-2 and Prehead MK-II SE, I prefer the Equinox to the Mobius. The Zu is the more forward of the two and tends to go the Grado direction, whereas the Equinox enhances the sonic qualities of the stock cable without altering it that much. Pick your poison.

The stock cable is so close to the Equinox that it would be prudent to reterminate that to XLR before spending $$$ on a balanced aftermarket cable. If you are not the DIY type, I am sure you can convince our friend GE to reterminate your stock cable for a nominal fee ;) Once you hear the stock cable for a month, post what you like or don't like about it and we can talk about the next round of spending >:D

Zu Cable will reterminate for a fee, which I believe is $40.

Stefan Audi Art will NOT reterminate. I was told the configuration of their balanced and single-ended Equinox cables is different, whatever that means.

As to which I prefer? Depends on the system. I have both balanced Equinox and balanced Zu Mobius. In that past, I have owned single-ended versions of both cables. I prefer the Zu Mobius with certain tube combinations and the Equinox with others. With the HR-2 and Prehead MK-II SE, I prefer the Equinox to the Mobius. The Zu is the more forward of the two and tends to go the Grado direction, whereas the Equinox enhances the sonic qualities of the stock cable without altering it that much. Pick your poison.

The stock cable is so close to the Equinox that it would be prudent to reterminate that to XLR before spending $$$ on a balanced aftermarket cable. If you are not the DIY type, I am sure you can convince our friend GE to reterminate your stock cable for a nominal fee ;) Once you hear the stock cable for a month, post what you like or don't like about it and we can talk about the next round of spending >:D

zu will reterminate the mobius for $40 + $10 return shipping.

Honestly, the fact that Stefan Audio Arts won't reterminate just means that they win't reterminate. The Equinox single ended cable is perfectly able to be reterminated for balanced usage. I mean I can understand WHY he wouldn't want to reterminate it, but it does not mean that it is not possible. GE has done this in the past with a Equinox cable so...

Honestly, the fact that Stefan Audio Arts won't reterminate just means that they win't reterminate. The Equinox single ended cable is perfectly able to be reterminated for balanced usage. I mean I can understand WHY he wouldn't want to reterminate it, but it does not mean that it is not possible. GE has done this in the past with a Equinox cable so...

Who said it is not physically possible? Any idiot looking at it would know it is possible. However, I expect the manufacturer to do so for a nominal fee.

BTW, Stefan Audio claims that it uses proprietary, patented soldering technique (so-called "Ultra-Solder Process") to build the Equinox. If you reterminate it yourself, you no longer have an "Equinox" cable. Although this special technique is most likely snake oil anyway, I wouldn't purchase an Equinox that has been reterminated outside the factory.

BTW, Stefan Audio claims that it uses proprietary, patented soldering technique (so-called "Ultra-Solder Process") to build the Equinox. If you reterminate it yourself, you no longer have an "Equinox" cable. Although this special technique is most likely snake oil anyway, I wouldn't purchase an Equinox that has been reterminated outside the factory.

Now that is just semanticv and splitting hairs. I like to save money so that's what I would do as I prefer not to pay the $100+ premium just to have XLR plugs on my cables.. But to each his own. I already have a cable that IMO is better than the Equinox anyways.

Now that is just semanticv and splitting hairs. I like to save money so that's what I would do as I prefer not to pay the $100+ premium just to have XLR plugs on my cables.. But to each his own. I already have a cable that IMO is better than the Equinox anyways.

Well, if you don't believe in the snake oil, why even bother getting an Equinox? I mean, I did a head to head comparison with stock and Zu Mobius -- all balanced, and the Equinox and stock are pretty close to begin with.

EDIT: If you are referring to the Grace Five Two, based on reports, that is probably the better match for your MPX3 anyways. With a balanced solid state amp (blockhead), my money is on the Equinox.

Well, if you don't believe in the snake oil, why even bother getting an Equinox? I mean, I did a head to head comparison with stock and Zu Mobius -- all balanced, and the Equinox and stock are pretty close to begin with.

I never said that cables were snake oil. I don't even really care about Stefan Audio arts patented soldering process. Personally I think that atleast single ended there's a difference, granted it's not necessarily night and day but in the hovvy, we are looking atthe limit of the diminishing returns curve anyways. SO blah I was just orignally poiting out that it is possible, whether Equinox actually is willing to do factory reterms, which they are not is another thing.

but given their long leadtime on their standard offerings, would you even want to consider parting with your cable for three months for a retermination?

http://stefanaudioart.com/StefanAudioArt.html

This retermination thing from the factory is silly anyways, if the fee is $50 as in the Zu Mobius. I was able to sell my single-ended Equinox at a lost less than $50. Same for my single-ended Zu Mobius. So, even taking shipping into account, it is more cost-effectve to sell the single-ended then get a brand new XLR version if you are upgrading from a single-ended to balanced rig.

What PFK is getting at is that the price differential between single-ended and balanced Equinox is $100. So, even if you don't have a single-ended version to begin with, it is cheaper to buy single-ended then reterminate to XLR yourself. I asked Stefan Audio why the hefty price differential and was given the "different configuration" and more expensive connectors excuse. This "trick" does not really work with the Zu Mobius as the XLR and single-ended versions cost the same.