World War 3 Thread

Knuckledragger

24 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Damn! “You're occupants, you're fascists! What the f**k are you doing on our land with all these guns? Take these seeds and put them in your pockets, so at least sunflowers will grow after you die.”

• Like 2

Yeah there's a bunch of stuff you can follow on twitter for updates on what's going on, there is a good amount of analysts, both amateur and professional, keeping an eye on things.

https://twitter.com/RALee85

https://twitter.com/warinthefuture

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael

There's way more but these guys tend to be more factual and objective. There are Ukrainian sources but they're a bit heavier on propaganda, and there are Russian sources which are a bit heavier on not existing anymore, at least not independent ones with any degree of credibility.

Also, the Institute for the Study of War has been publishing daily updates on the situation and seems to be quite reliable.

And of course there are tons of memes. ALL the memes...

xlarge

Edited by catscratch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Internet backbone provider shuts off service in Russia(!)

Unplugging Russia from Cogent’s global network will likely result in slower connectivity, but won’t completely disconnect Russians from the internet, Madory notes. Traffic from Cogent’s former customers will instead fall back on other backbone providers in the country, potentially resulting in network congestion. There isn’t any indication as to whether other internet backbone providers will also suspend services in Russia.

Well, friendos - me and my gf bought 75 liter hiking backpacks so we can bug out if needed. Also bought enough water and food to last us for 3 days on the run. It's relatively peaceful here in NATO's embrace, but shit can get real pretty fast. Most doomsday supplies are sold out.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

This is a long form video from a guy with a fairly thick accent.  I had to pay pretty close attention to follow along with what he was aying.  I'm dyslexic and while the trope of the backwards R is a canard, auditory processing language is all to real.  That said, I was able to glean a fair amount of interesting info from this vid.  TL;DW: Russia is corrupt, full of hubris and vastly overestimated their own abilities as well as completely UNDERestimated Ukrainian resistance.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, RudeWolf said:

Well, friendos - me and my gf bought 75 liter hiking backpacks so we can bug out if needed. Also bought enough water and food to last us for 3 days on the run. It's relatively peaceful here in NATO's embrace, but shit can get real pretty fast. Most doomsday supplies are sold out.

You are a lot closer to Ukraine than us. But if it, God help us, gets as far as the UK, we have nowhere to run. We are far too heavily populated. Run to Scotland? No help - the major submarine bases are up there. And in our area we have AWRE - the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, GCHQ (Government Communication HQ) and Porton Down (the chemical weapons crew), and major RAFs base at Brize Norton and Abingdon. So we're fucked. Might as well kiss our asses goodbye.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

You are a lot closer to Ukraine than us. But if it, God help us, gets as far as the UK, we have nowhere to run. We are far too heavily populated. Run to Scotland? No help - the major submarine bases are up there. And in our area we have AWRE - the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, GCHQ (Government Communication HQ) and Porton Down (the chemical weapons crew), and major RAFs base at Brize Norton and Abingdon. So we're fucked. Might as well kiss our asses goodbye.

Well, if shit goes nuclear then only nature wins. I'm hoping someone in Putin's retinue breaks and punches his ticket. Here in Latvia we can only try running north or go guerilla as the country is richly forested. With that said, I'm pleasantly surprised with Russia's military ineptitude in Ukraine and don't think that they are able to sustain a multi-frontal ground war. Current Russian POW's in UA look like irregulars at best and bums at worst. I think the corruption is rife in their military and no one has the guts to tell Putin that it's all not khaki colored sunshines and rainbows.

image.png.3864c5948a7093056619621107df1f57.png

They are truly a sad looking lot. What are the red armbands? A prisoner combatant thing?

I think it is telling that the shots of Putin talking to his commanders is him at the head of a long table, and his commanders way down at the other end. That has to be related to keeping potential attempts on his life a long way away.

My simple brain thinks that the democratic world and its financial systems have cultivated Putin, his oligarchs and strongmen as sourdoughs. Now Russia is capable to destroy life for millions of people if NATO doesn’t engage. If NATO engage Putin’s only defense/threat is nuclear weapons.

God bless us all!

The irony is that the oligarchs emerged when the USSR was broken up, and give commercial freedoms that were unheard of before.

But yes - the West has become dependent on Russian gas and oil. None more than the EU. Just as the entire West is reliant on another war mongering autocracy, China (Taiwan - potentially China's Ukraine) - for goods manufacture (including semiconductors), and massive trillion dollar financial loans to Western governments and countries.

And this is the price we pay for globalization. Sell your soul to the global devils and see what happens.

But we're only interested in what Russia are doing because it borders on larger Europe and they have a nuclear arsenal. Other global conflicts that have killed hundreds of thousands, in Europe and elsewhere, which were reported on but otherwise not noteworthy - because none of us relied on the combatants for goods, oil or gas.

Incidentally the Chechen/Russian conflict stared in 1785 and has run for 237 years, and is not yet resolved totally - quarter of a million dead in the second Chechen war.

This first and second Chechen another Putin initiative. This is what Putin did to the capital city Grozny in 1995. Expect the same in Ukraine.

Grozny%2C_the_capital_city_of_Chechnya%2C_in_March_1995_during_the_Second_Russo-Chechen_War.png

53 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

This is what Putin did to the capital city Grozny in 1995.

The Chechen wars in the nineties were a colossal clusterfuck and many say that they costed Yeltsin his career. Putin largely built on that as he was the prime minister during Yeltsin's last term and took over as president. I've seen on the ground footage from Russian side and it was chaos not too dissimilar from whet we see in Ukraine. Low on morale, drunk, underequipped and poorly managed were the Russian troops there. The first assault on Grozny failed spectacularly and in the second war progress was made only by grinding the city up by rocket arty. Again - not too dissimilar from what's happening in Ukraine.

2 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

What are the red armbands? A prisoner combatant thing?

Probably unit markings or something like that. The comms on Russian side are so poor that they are starting to lose high ranking officers as they need to be at the front lines to command. Some people saw that they were using regular Aliexpress walkie talkies and UA dudes would eavesdrop and even shit talk over them. I am seriously at a loss whether it's a ploy of some sort to trick the West, wear down the defenders or maybe it's just what it really is after decades of uncontrolled robbery.

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

But yes - the West has become dependent on Russian gas and oil. None more than the EU. Just as the entire West is reliant on another war mongering autocracy, China (Taiwan - potentially China's Ukraine) - for goods manufacture (including semiconductors), and massive trillion dollar financial loans to Western governments and countries.

Agreed.

gas_exports.png

crude_oil_condensate.png

Essentially I might've paid for my bullet or rocket through a power or gas bill.

The interesting thing is that we in the UK are not as reliant as other EU states are on Russian gas and crude. Which is good. That semi-independence seems to not have effected the petrol price at the pump, and gas and electricity prices, which are still spiraling rapidly upwards.

I did not realize that China was so dependent on Russian crude. It is no wonder that they are tending not to rock Russia's boat too much.

30 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

The interesting thing is that we in the UK are not as reliant as other EU states are on Russian gas and crude. Which is good. That semi-independence seems to not have effected the petrol price at the pump, and gas and electricity prices, which are still spiraling rapidly upwards.

Plenty of oligarch dosh in Londongrad. But yeah, Bojo did ruffle Putin's feathers a bit. I think UK still has some island advantage - not that easy to get that Russian oil/gas to you lot.

32 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

I did not realize that China was so dependent on Russian crude. It is no wonder that they are tending not to rock Russia's boat too much.

I think China is waiting for Russia to fold and then will scoop it up as a protectorate. China needs a gas station and there's plenty of other vital Russian resources for manufacturing. Also a friendly puppet regime can divert the West's attention from China when needed.