Stax 4070 pricing?

Salt Peanuts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price Japan is cheaper, but gets more difficult to deal with if there's a issue. I know TTVJ sells them now, you might call and see if he can help you out. There aren't too many of them out there (at least as far as Head-Fi/Case users are concerned). So a used one is not likely.

Yeah, I was going through Head-Fi and the only used pair I was able to spot, didn't make it to the FS forum.

Have you ever gotten to audition them Haj? Seems like a pretty big risk if you haven't, I'd let your K1k rig pan out at least through the beta22, maybe that'll be good enough?

Have you ever gotten to audition them Haj? Seems like a pretty big risk if you haven't, I'd let your K1k rig pan out at least through the beta22, maybe that'll be good enough?

Oh yeah, I'll be at least waiting until rest of the rig is set, while getting a $1k range DAC. I've been hoping someone in the NYC area would get a pair (so they'll be at the NYC meet), but that hasn't happened. Getting them would also set in motion need to get another stat amp or transformer.

Another option I'm considering is get a $1K range DAC and SB3 so I can just finish setting up the damn wireless music setup.

I don't think it would be too big a risk. There are a lot of people who want to hear them on Head-Fi. If he didn't like them, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have too hard a time selling them...now for how much? People might not be willing to pay the US dist. price, but if you're willing to take a slight hit I think they'll move quickly.

I wouldn't be having this problem if someone actually made great sounding closed dynamic cans that actually blocked sounds.

Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll get some custom molds made for my ER4P's and let you know how they sound. Granted, that's probably not really what you're looking for but dropping $1000 on closed cans that would then make you spend more money on another amp seems like more lunacy than I'd be comfortable with.

Probably will, provided the DV50 transaction goes w/o a hitch. Now I have to find the going rate for a Stax SRD-7mkII so I can budget for that. I won't be able to afford a nice stat amp, but pairing it with the Singlepower power amp, when it gets here, should work well enough.

You should ask drp about his, word on the street is that he's got a new stat amp coming in and probably won't need the xformer any more for the HE60s.;)

If you strike out on the Illusion (or don't want to spent that much) you could always find a much cheaper normal bias SRD-7 and build the Mk2 bias supply into it and also do a few upgrades along the way.

Btw. My 4070 should be here tomorrow if DHL can get off their ass and deliver it these whole 10kms... >:(

If you strike out on the Illusion (or don't want to spent that much) you could always find a much cheaper normal bias SRD-7 and build the Mk2 bias supply into it and also do a few upgrades along the way.

Btw. My 4070 should be here tomorrow if DHL can get off their ass and deliver it these whole 10kms... >:(

welcome to head-case spritzer! Glad to have you. :)

Hey, welcome. Good to see you here. :)

That's an option I'm definitely looking at if I go the way of 4070, though I'd have to con, I mean convince, my friend to do the upgrades for me.

Keep us posted on how you like, or not like, the 4070's.

That's an option I'm definitely looking at if I go the way of 4070, though I'd have to con, I mean convince, my friend to do the upgrades for me.

Ahhh abusing a friendship for the joy of electrostatics. Been there... O0

It's a pretty simple build and I have both the original Stax schematic and the redrawn one that was based on the pictures from one of my Mk2's.

Keep us posted on how you like, or not like, the 4070's.

I should get them tonight and I'll post my impressions tomorrow. I really hope I like them but my impressions are often very different from the norm.