Stax 4070 pricing?

Salt Peanuts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an Illusion ESC-1001 off Yahoo Japan Auctions. The seller still has it listed, but it went up in price from the previous JPY 55,000.

The price now is almost the same as buying directly from the manufacturer so I wonder if they are branching out.

Haha, spritzer is a "newbie," hahaha.

Wait, I am a newbie too. :-\ <- random smilie

Yeah I'm searching for some 50$ headphones for my ipod.... wait I don't own an ipod... :o

The price now is almost the same as buying directly from the manufacturer so I wonder if they are branching out.

There's certainly been a few up for sale lately. If this supply keeps up I might even end up buying one.

Yeah I'm searching for some 50$ headphones for my ipod.... wait I don't own an ipod... :o

You should stretch your budget a little more. Nothing sounds better than some HD555s and a RSA Hornet.

...what? No, it doesn't matter that I haven't heard them. >:D

There's certainly been a few up for sale lately. If this supply keeps up I might even end up buying one.

Go for it! I'm also interested but I'll wait a bit after this most recent shopping madness. I got two packages today and one weight some 25kgs and the other one was the 4070. ;) The Sony DAS-R1 dac was in the first package with a broken Stax SRA-3S. The dac is quite a beast at some 17 kgs and now I only need a 100v step down transformer.

You should stretch your budget a little more. Nothing sounds better than some HD555s and a RSA Hornet.

...what? No, it doesn't matter that I haven't heard them. >:D

Since when do you need to listen to something before you recommend it?? Nobody told me... ::)

The HD555 is so bad that I gave them away O0

Go for it! I'm also interested but I'll wait a bit after this most recent shopping madness. I got two packages today and one weight some 25kgs and the other one was the 4070. ;) The Sony DAS-R1 dac was in the first package with a broken Stax SRA-3S. The dac is quite a beast at some 17 kgs and now I only need a 100v step down transformer.

The mail man must have got to know the way to your place well lately. That dac sounds crazy heavy. I think I should finish off my own custom transformer box before picking up the ESC-1001. All I need to do is build a bias supply. It would make for a good shoot-off with the Illusion once complete. ;D

Since when do you need to listen to something before you recommend it?? Nobody told me... ::)

Hey, if everyone says it then it can't be wrong.

The HD555 is so bad that I gave them away O0

Yes, I actually have spend some time with the HD555 and couldn't stand them. I'd have to be paid to own a pair.

The mail man must have got to know the way to your place well lately. That dac sounds crazy heavy. I think I should finish off my own custom transformer box before picking up the ESC-1001. All I need to do is build a bias supply. It would make for a good shoot-off with the Illusion once complete. ;D

They know me all too well. When I go there to pick up a package there is usually something like this "Headphones... again?" and everybody looks at me like I'm retarded... ::)

The DAC is crazy big and those TDA1541A S1 chips aren't bad either. The chassis is solid copper with 1" thick wood side panels. All the caps are silver mica or Nichicon and the every resistor is Riken and it cost about the same as an upgraded (insets hottest dac at the moment). Damn I need a 100v transformer?!!!!!!! :mikey2:

Hey, if everyone says it then it can't be wrong.

I hear RSA, Rudistor and Single Power make the best amps so it must be true... >:D

Yes, I actually have spend some time with the HD555 and couldn't stand them. I'd have to be paid to own a pair.

My friend is very happy so it's all good.

I demand 4070 impressions! :)

Your wish is my demand... :angel:

That monitor badge on each cup is there for a reason. The bass is extended but it doesn't have the presence of the SR-007. It's flat and taught and very nice. The midrange is just a bit shut in, nothing major and it is actually better then the He60. The top end doesn't have the flesh and texture of either Omega so bad recordings sound worse then they really are. It's good for monitoring but not so for music but it's not a problem and the top end is smooth enough.

Detail is excelent and they pick up minute things down in the mix. Soundstage is hurt most by the closed earcups. It's wide but it lacks the depth and layering of the TOTL models.

Comfort is excelent but they really should have put leather pads on them and the weight could be a problem for some users. I'm a big man so having 600g on my head doesn't bother me as the headband does it's thing well but you have been warned. O0

All in all they have earned a place in the top 5 and while they sound great they aren't as much fun as a HE60.

Your wish is my demand... :angel:

That monitor badge on each cup is there for a reason. The bass is extended but it doesn't have the presence of the SR-007. It's flat and taught and very nice. The midrange is just a bit shut in, nothing major and it is actually better then the He60. The top end doesn't have the flesh and texture of either Omega so bad recordings sound worse then they really are. It's good for monitoring but not so for music but it's not a problem and the top end is smooth enough.

Detail is excelent and they pick up minute things down in the mix. Soundstage is hurt most by the closed earcups. It's wide but it lacks the depth and layering of the TOTL models.

Comfort is excelent but they really should have put leather pads on them and the weight could be a problem for some users. I'm a big man so having 600g on my head doesn't bother me as the headband does it's thing well but you have been warned. O0

All in all they have earned a place in the top 5 and while they sound great they aren't as much fun as a HE60.

Nice! They do sound like what I'm looking for in them...damn temptations.

Spritzer, that's a very nice way of putting it. I've waffled on about the 4070s a few times and while your impressions seem to be much the same as mine I've never managed to state it as succinctly. I think I'd seriously look at the 4070 if I needed a degree of noise isolation (as Carl does), but this isn't a problem I have. I do think I need some HE60s though faults and all; they're fun just as you say.

You guys really need to hear some 'stats and get rid of all that inferior dynamic crap... >:D

Spritzer, that's a very nice way of putting it. I've waffled on about the 4070s a few times and while your impressions seem to be much the same as mine I've never managed to state it as succinctly. I think I'd seriously look at the 4070 if I needed a degree of noise isolation (as Carl does), but this isn't a problem I have. I do think I need some HE60s though faults and all; they're fun just as you say.

They are great for their intended role and the noise isolation, while not IEM level, does come in handy. The He60 is fun and they've found their place in my setup with a SRM-Xh fed out of the Corda Aria Dac. They are great for early morning or really late night listening... ;D

HP-2s inferior? pretty early in your head-case career to try to get banned, dontcha think? ;)

They are a Grado, so yes. >:D If you can't handle the truth then stay out of the Stax threads... j/k ;D

They are pretty good for a dynamic and avoid the really big faults normally associated with the dynamic principle but they aren't good enough to play with the big boys. I'd love to own one though for the build quality alone and I've got dibs on my friends set... 8)

i could ramble on about why you're wrong, but i'll save both of us the time and effort ;)

I think that would be wise. We can agree that they are very good headphones and much better then the crap people think is "high-end"

Now I going back to restoring my vintage Stax amp. :dance:

i really need to hear some stat phones.

yeah, i'm craving to hear an O2. of course i'd like to hear the rarer sennheiser cans as well, but I will never own them ever ever in history of the world.

What the ???

Head-case "Golden Gods" haven't heard the Stax SR-007? And the "newbies" have? What is going on here? >:D <- random smilie

Damn noobs with their dynamics... ;D All bullshit aside the SR-007 in a properly matched system is an astonishing experience. They are really tough to get right but when you do... :dance:

we do need electrostat luv 'round here. thats why I'm glad spritzer showed up. :)

I'll do my best to preach the gospel... >:D

They are a Grado, so yes. >:D If you can't handle the truth then stay out of the Stax threads... j/k ;D

They are pretty good for a dynamic and avoid the really big faults normally associated with the dynamic principle but they aren't good enough to play with the big boys. I'd love to own one though for the build quality alone and I've got dibs on my friends set... 8)

I dunno stats can't really make you rock out with your cock out. More like rock out with your inverted penis ;)

And you're the only one that seems to think that they can :police:

edit: silver wiring, good amp (or more like an amp worthy of the gods?), good source, bend headband out...check, check, check, check I've heard all the arguments before O0>:D

I dunno stats can't really make you rock out with your cock out. More like rock out with your inverted penis ;)

And you're the only one that seems to think that they can :police:

edit: silver wiring, good amp (or more like an amp worthy of the gods?), good source, bend headband out...check, check, check, check I've heard all the arguments before O0>:D

Nothing makes me want to rock out like my RS-1s. :dance:

More and more I'm coming to admire headphones that sound like great headphones, not like mediocre speakers. ;D For all their faults, Grados do something that my 22L's can't.

More and more I'm turning to my speakers for classical works, while the once lauded HD650s hang forlornly on the rack. :-X

Nothing makes me want to rock out like my RS-1s. :dance:

More and more I'm coming to admire headphones that sound like great headphones, not like mediocre speakers. ;D For all their faults, Grados do something that my 22L's can't.

More and more I'm turning to my speakers for classical works, while the once lauded HD650s hang forlornly on the rack. :-X

Oh screw you, Mr HD650 is one of the best headphones ever >:(. On postjack's forum changing of opinions = ban (where I am admin and joo r peon)

If you want rock to sound like crap (i.e. like some of it is supposed to) then you want slam and bass heft and the rest be damned. Electrostatics can do that but you need a vintage stat for the job. The Suprex PEP-74 is the best rock phone ever and I've spent a good deal of time with the RS1. The thicker the diaphragm the better the rock bass. None of them can come close to the SR-007 bass in extension and texture but they are simply too honest for some recordings so you need some 35 year old design. There is a reason I own all these headphones... :D