Stax 4070 pricing?

Salt Peanuts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still willing to provide a home for some HE60s but yeah, I doubt I'll be parting with any of my Stax gear.

I'm not going to sell either one of them but I might start to sell some of my stuff, some of lambdas and SR-# units. Also at least some of the amps and adapters. This will be tough but I need the space for some extra gear... :(

I don't think I should say any more as Carl knows where I live and would not take kindly to such things. He may revoke my borrowing rights. ;)

That would be like him. >:D I'm fire off an email when I have the time.

Spritzer - did you buy your 4070's new or used? I'm pretty set on getting a pair from a US dealer, but was wondering how long it takes for Stax to make them since they are built to order as far as I'm aware.

I got mine used.

Well, I can definately understand hard to drive headphones sounding less than their potential on a poor amp... but I also still think that it is quite possible that with your search for 'absolute neutrality' you've used your silver IC's and other components to make the 007's sound less dark. There is nothing wrong with that of course. ;)

Well, I can definately understand hard to drive headphones sounding less than their potential on a poor amp... but I also still think that it is quite possible that with your search for 'absolute neutrality' you've used your silver IC's and other components to make the 007's sound less dark. There is nothing wrong with that of course. ;)

They haven't, they are only revealing more of the signal. I design my cables for absolute neutrality, not to be tone controls, and they have proved to be much better then any others I've tried including Valhalla, Prana, Silversmith, PAD and Kimber Select. The only cables that were too close to call were the Stealth and Kondo TOTL models. I didn't get to spend too much time with them but they were up there.

I wouldn't make too much of the fact that HE90s move more often than Omega IIs. Having sold mine and being one of those that feel it is quite good, I can attest to the fact that, well, frankly, it is easier to justify keeping a decent 2.6k headphone (Or in the case of the O2 a 1.2-1.5k headphone) than keeping a 8k headphone that to me sounds better. I mean if you have the money you have the money. In the end I personally couldn't justify keeping it and it happened to be represent money that could pay for my source.

That being said, yeah the HE90 while being top tier I would say... I think for my tastes the K1K with a suitable amp edges it out conclusively. The best trait of the HE90 is that it is easy to listen to. It is non-fatiguing unlike the K1K which has the sweet, sweet razor edge of accurate highs and gobs of detail/clarity.

Of course I don't own a K1000 either. I refuse to until I move into my new place and can speaker/speaker amp it up. I refuse to own an amp that can't drive at least two things or perform as a headphone amp/pre-amp or headphone amp/power amp.

The fact that the HE90 is easy to listen to is basically why people love it. None of the most avid He90 supporters have a system that is close to being neutral and that makes them sound all that much better.

I can afford to keep them and they are a good investment since they have more then doubled in price since i bought them but thats not the reason why I hang onto them. I'm still hoping for an amp or system that will make them sound good to my ears. It might never happen but until then they rest in their box.

Yeah most of the masses on head-fi in general gravitate towards components that are easy to listen to.

Ray Samuels products.... Meridian G08... Rega Players... etc etc.

Of course I do think that the HE90 is a level up on them since it does have good resolution/detail/(And frankly I like the bass).

But still there is a difference between accuracy and musicality. However, I am of the belief at the peak of accuracy there is musicality and settling for musicality without accuracy is something you should only do when the budget is maxed or else you are only selling yourself short if you call yourself an audiophile.

Most people on head-fi just don't care though. That's cool.

It's true that at the very high end there is the ultimate musicality. If you want the truth listen to a Kondo setup and be prepared to manually force your jaw off the floor. most users aren't searching for an analyzing tool in their setup so they settle for something that sounds nice and are stuck on the endless upgrade train.

Kondo is at the very fringe of the high-end and one of the few companies that does it right. They make all of the components in house, wiring, resistors, capacitors or has some of the best specially make it for them i.e. Tango transformers/chokes. Kondo was called Audio Note but the English company that once distributed them worldwide owned the name so they had to change it. The English company is a bad joke in comparison but they charge much more for their products.

Tango did go out of business and it is called Iso-Tango now. I've heard reports that the new transformers are inferior to the older stuff but the transformers used in the Kondo designs are not off the shelf units but each one designed by the, now sadly departed, company founder.

The other great transformer manufacturer is Tamura and the audio side is bout 0.1% of their business but they are equal to Tango and the lineup is much easier to get a handle on.

Ah, Audio Note Japan...

I listened to some Audio Note Japan (Kondo) setups during my childhood in Japan. In essence, those experiences were the true starting points in my love of audio and - even music itself. (It was a point in life when I realized just how powerful music was; I wanted to experience it too - the experiences have since then led me to learn the violin, compose, and of course, buy audio gear.) I remember it was such a very deeply moving experience. Another experience that really made an impression on me at the time was listening to a Avantgarde horns setup.

There are a variety of ways to get Tango transformers. Ebay for old ones for NOS. Or you can have them custom made at exactly the same specs by people who have the specs/manuals/documentation related.

There are several other very good transformer companies besides. Some italian one. Daburu (Chinese company that makes stuff similar to Tamura/Tango.. cobalt/80 percent nickel/iron), electraprint and more. There are a bunch of shootoffs out there for various types of transformers. James Transformers are also made by the old Tango engineers but also not quiteee as good.

Like this:

http://www.meta-gizmo.com/tri/vtv-se.html