blessingx

I never thought this ridiculous product would see the light of day. What an awful concept.

But Dyson have had much more serious products bomb. They developed a washing machine. Normally washing machines have a big block of concrete in the back to stop the spin cycle from making the machine jump around and shake itself to bits. Which is why washing machines are stupidly heavy. Dyson came up with a contra rotating drum and active stabilization. A superb idea - much lighter weight, quiet (because Dyson understand motors) - and so punishingly expensive that very few bought it.

Let's not forget that James Dyson's first product was the Ball Barrow - the usual wheel on a wheel barrow was replaced by a ball - so you could turn corners more easily. Of course lots of companies make them now because Dysons' patent on this is long expired. But typical of the man - he took the concept of a ball on an axle to boat launching and other marine activities.

But the product that came to define him was the cyclone vacuum cleaner. Developed in his back room of his modest house. Then Hoover took his patent, copied it and started making them. Dyson fought back, and won with massive punitive damages.

But the reviews have it right for the daft headphone/filter thing. All Dyson's current products are to do with motor technology and filtration, and excellent product form and feel. And this massive headphone construct with the mask is no exception. For all its weight and laughable appearance, it is superbly designed and built.

• Like 1

I'm betting the logic was "well covid is a thing, people are wearing masks, and they're wearing headphones, if masks are here to stay why not combine them" and they did. Except rona panic has weaned and now it looks ridiculous.

But maybe in some hyper-polluted cities this might find a buyer or two. Though maybe not at full price.

It is summed up in the last sentence: "I’ll choose magic, if only it didn’t come at such costs". And that sums it up - everything Dyson is a major investment.

About the most affordable, and something I bought for MrsS, was a Dyson Supersonic hair dryer. It is still not cheap, but is is quiet, powerful and light. But would I spend three times that for a Dyson vacuum cleaner? Well no. I've just fixed our twenty year old Sebo with a new mains lead from eBay (the old one was chewed), and some duct tape over a hole in the base. It does the job, and the green thing is to keep it going until is really does keel over.

• Like 2