Source upgrade?

boomana

I'll be interested to see how it compares to the Hertsens. I don't know why, but Wavelength has always made my bullshit meter go into overload... I've been wrong before though, and for Mike's sake I hope it is a keeper. ;)

The DAC bypasses any SPDIF conversion and uses I2S, I think that's a pretty good design.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one good step, I'll give you that... I think it is more relative to what is in them vs. how much they cost. Same reason I'll never buy Empirical Audio. I guess it is a combination of my bullshit meter and my cheapass meter. :D

I used to bring out my bullshit meter whenever I heard Wavelength Audio mentioned.

And then I read about Rankin's work instead of taking what people say for the truth, making judgments from the prices and past experiences, as well as being wary of the over-enthusiasm attributed to fanboys and the creator himself.

My bullshit meter no longer comes out so easily with Wavelength. The "sell your kidney for the best" meter comes out. It also comes out whenever I see Atma-sphere and Kondo mentioned.

:angel:

I only have my NOS ones. How does one get a fresh pair? Are they Russian? I hear those are supposed to be pretty good, but I've also heard Chinese are better. (Or maybe that was Japanese...?)

Nice. ;D The ears would be mine, and as far as I know they were an international effort of German, French, and English design. They've since been refreshed (a DIY job) by simply removing the really bad attitude that covered them that day (as evidenced by the fact that I spent most of the afternoon denoucing the Transporter, the GS1000s and the Woo5, then curling up on a couch, playing with the radio on a Clix2, pefectly happy while listening to baseball and bad Creole stations with an unamped L3000).

EDIT: the L3000 moment as evidence of a trippy attitude, not removal. A day of sleeping and a stash of new CDs in the mail was the method used for clearing things up.

Wavelength mentioned in the same sentence as Atma-Sphere and Kondo? Interesting. I'd like to see what KG thinks about the company.

Oh no no no no no, not that. That didn't come out the way I wanted it to. They were separate sentences anyways. >:D

Yeah, I guess you got me there with the separate sentences. ;)

So, you meant that they are high priced yet good... though not necessarily of the same magnitude as Atma-Sphere and Kondo?

They use good parts but I'm not so sure about their build techniques and circuits. It's the same with A-S, I mean would it kill them to use something that doesn't look like it housed a radio in WW2?

So I heard the Cosecant this weekend, and all I can say is I liked it enough to wish I could have hooked it up to my system to form an opinion that meant anything. It was hooked up to a Woo5, which I'd only heard once before, and this time, Mike had changed the stock tubes I'd heard before to WEs. I have no idea where the improvements were coming from, the tubes, the dac, my mood, all...I will say that was good enough to my ears that I'd like to investigate further some time soon. Oh, I was using K1000s, which I know fairly well.

I'm a computer-source user and have been curious about Wavelength and Empirical Audio products for some time. They both seem very expensive to me and maybe over-priced.

I currently use an RME HDSP 9632 > Chord DAC64. It sounds good, roughly equivalent to the Accuphase DP-500 or an Esoteric SA60 I heard recently. I think an upgrade would require a large sum of money (DP-700, DP-800/DC-801, P-05/D-05, etc.)

One DAC I've heard that I think is better than the DAC64 or DP-500 is the Lavry Gold.

I tried a Cary CAD-300SEI recently with the K1000 and the R10/L3000 out of the headphone output and it sounded good. 3x generic 6SN7 and 2x Cetron 300B.

Please, I'm sure you can find some more insanely expensive and excessively picky tubes to throw in there! :D

A quad of NOS 845's costs between 3-6k$ depending on which tubes we are talking about. Good 45's are about a grand and the 300b's would be at least 2k$. That's not really cheap is it? ;D

fucking bullshit, and you know it. regardless of how great Wavelength or Fucknut labs are, or Penisgoeswhere? industries amps are, there is no way in hell that hearing them is suddenly going to make the Cary 300SEI sound bad.

At $4000 it had better not sound bad! For that much money I'd expect it to be amazing.

fucking bullshit, and you know it. regardless of how great Wavelength or Fucknut labs are, or Penisgoeswhere? industries amps are, there is no way in hell that hearing them is suddenly going to make the Cary 300SEI sound bad.

I'll be honest and say that I think all Caries are way to tubey sounding for me (even though I do enjoy warm to a degree). There have been gigantic wars over the decades about what tube amps are supposed to sound like. Cary is the epitome of the "ultra warm, mushy, tubey 6SN7 to 300B" side; this is their signature and this is what they're know for. Some people swear by this sound because this is their ideal "tube sound". The SET & DHT crowd is usually the opposing factor.

and it does! and other tube implementations being better, in whatever way, isn't going to change that, which is my point.

Are you referring to it being fantastic as a headphone amp or speaker amp? Because the headphone out is already flawed with the high output impedence.

holy shit! :o

The good news is that the new production 845's aren't that bad and much, much cheaper.

I'll be honest and say that I think all Caries are way to tubey sounding for me (even though I do enjoy warm to a degree). There have been gigantic wars over the decades about what tube amps are supposed to sound like. Cary is the epitome of the "ultra warm, mushy, tubey 6SN7 to 300B" side; this is their signature and this is what they're know for. Some people swear by this sound because this is their ideal "tube sound". The SET & DHT crowd is usually the opposing factor.

Couldn't have said it better myself. They are simply creating the ultimate euphonic tube sound and we say it sounds bad because that's not how a good tubeamp sounds.