Source upgrade?

boomana

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickie,

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but I broke down and bought the Exemplar Denon 2900 myself. I was mighty impressed with it at the Florida meet.

Nice score, Purk. Did you pick that one up on audiogon for an amazing price I saw last week?

I have to get off my butt and send mine out to John Tucker for the latest tweaks, and then settle in and just be happy with it. I decided that if I'm going to spend crazy money (and that's what it would be at this point for any real gain) on a source upgrade, I'm going vinyl. I, and others, have compared the Exemplar to a number of "better" players, but it more than holds it's own (redbook only). How are you liking it? What tubes are you using?

Nice score, Purk. Did you pick that one up on audiogon for an amazing price I saw last week?

I have to get off my butt and send mine out to John Tucker for the latest tweaks, and then settle in and just be happy with it. I decided that if I'm going to spend crazy money (and that's what it would be at this point for any real gain) on a source upgrade, I'm going vinyl. I, and others, have compared the Exemplar to a number of "better" players, but it more than holds it's own (redbook only). How are you liking it? What tubes are you using?

I got it for $1170 shipped via paypal. It was the one on audiogon. I still have no clue what tube it will come with (it is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday). I was very impressed with your Denon 2900 and I want to try it out in my system. After all, I need another great source for my amps. Do you have any recommendation on what I need to do to get the 2900 up to speed?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1199903492

Vicki, does yours have balanced outputs or it SE only? That'd be the only reason to think about meddling with it.

Vickie's got one that was the tops a few years back John Tucker has found better caps for his mod and has changed the opamps in it as well to better ones

as it stands the exemplar is better than the ayre cx7, wadia 302, transporter, sony sacd player 1 (whatever that big ass gold colored 50 lb monster is called) and the esoterics 50/60 I have heard on redbook. If I had not gone Cosecant it would have taken dynamight to get it out of my house.

The cosecant and exemplar are probably in the same league but I can not give up the ease of use a mac mini and the cosecant offer not to mention the sound

I got it for $1170 shipped via paypal. It was the one on audiogon. I still have no clue what tube it will come with (it is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday). I was very impressed with your Denon 2900 and I want to try it out in my system. After all, I need another great source for my amps. Do you have any recommendation on what I need to do to get the 2900 up to speed?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1199903492

That's an amazing price. Congrats. I saw that fs and was thinking some lucky person's going to get a steal. Nice it was you. I know you talked with John Tucker about the opamp and cap upgrades, so the only thing I can maybe add is you might want to try out some Amperex pinched waist tubes or some Mullards (7062).

ps vinyl is where it is at my vinyl rig which is good not great, I need a new deck, is still much better. While this is in part due to better mastering even on recordings with good redbook masters the vinyl wins.

Vickie go vinyl

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I know.

Weren't you the one who just told me to stop buying audio and buy a new car? I distinctly remember that conversation. Buy a car you said. You need a new car. That was good John :angel: Pick up that turntable you know you want. Evil John is in the house >:D

fuck the car ride a bike and be a tree hugger and get into LP goodness

it's what the inner disturbing godess in you wants

Actually, this is Juan! (polvodediamante) I was one the Noob that stayed with Al and Gene in the same hotel as you.

I don't know why, but I decided to get a new name for this forum which was, in retrospect, a bad idea.

I didn't really care for this forum since you guys mentioned that all they did was bash on Ray, but seeing how head-fi is down, I have no other choice but to come here.

(off topic, but I just ordered Thrice's mini^3 amp)

Thanks!

I also see that Jp is here, what's up?!

I've been craving that awesome beer restaurant that we went to real bad!

Juan these guys are cool the Ray thing is probably more on than off, I like Ray but his amps are another story.. even the good ones are overpriced.

Great to see you here now go get a Beligian Triple