Mikey taking a walk for 2nd chance month

mikeymad

Recently, I became a member of the Board of Directors of the Communities of Belonging Organization. We strive to help marginalized individuals get the resources they need to persevere and re-enter society successfully.  https://communitiesofbelonging.org/

As a part of April being 2nd Chance Month, we are holding a walk to raise awareness and funds to support our vision. We will be walking around Green Lake in Northern Seattle (for any locals in the area). If you would like to be a sponsor, I have setup a team on our Givebutter site. Please take a look.

https://givebutter.com/XXcbAZ/michaelmaddock

campaign cover

Please feel free to ping me with any questions and thanks for everything.

Cheers,

Mikey ;D

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your support, things are coming together for the walk this weekend. Coming close to reaching our goal thanks to all of you.

https://givebutter.com/XXcbAZ/michaelmaddock

We were able to partner with the Seattle Police and their Community Service Officers (CSO) to come out and be a part of the event, along with a local organization called Weld Seattle that is doing good work in helping people with their reentry needs.

The weather is looking up for the weekend (always an issue in the PNW), and we got our T-shirts in!! 

We are hoping that it goes well, and we can continue to thrive and grow in the future. 

Cheers and thanks again...

Mikey

image.thumb.png.44b7b3a7e05ddfe22977bed929e381b1.png

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

Hey HC Team,

Thanks again for all the support last year for our 2nd chance walk fundraiser. We raised just over $10,000, which was amazing! The event and walk were just lovely. We had a break in the weather and had a great day. Engaging with the community and sharing our vision of 'a world where everyone belongs.'

We are back at it again.

image.png

We have renamed our walk (and new logo) the - Walk for Belonging - walk4belonging - as a part of April's Second Chance Month. 

campaign cover

I continue to work as a member of the Board of Directors for Communities of Belonging as the Secretary/Treasurer - as well as the defacto IT and figure-it-out person.

We just recently launched our new website, after about 5 months of redesign. CommunitiesofBelonging.org (let me know if you find anything wonky)

I am proud of the work that we are doing. We are really helping people bridge the gap and re-enter society after a bout of homelessness, incarceration or addiction. We hope to continue to grow and help as many people as we can.

If you are willing and have the means to help me out, I would be most humble for your generosity, as I have in the past. You can donate without registering for the walk:

https://givebutter.com/Walk4Belonging/michaelmaddock

Cheers all,

Mikey

(back to listening to music, and all the other things)

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm it is upside down. I saw a documentary.

Stranger Things Upside Down: Everything We Know So Far, Explained

Thanks for the additional support team. We are getting closer to our goals with the walk this coming Saturday. We will be having a busy week getting everything ready from t-shirts to raffles, information tables and herding cats. 

Cheers.

With gratitude - Mikey.

• Like 1

PXL_20230422_172748705.jpg

Thanks again for all your support and generosity. NFLO!

I really liked the shirt design that we had this year. It was a 'chance of rain' type of day, like normal around here. But we had a nice gathering, lovely sharing and connection with the community, and then a nice 2.8 mile walk around Green Lake.

We hope to continue to make it grow and involve more partners. And continue to share the idea that 'We believe in a world where everyone belongs.”

Cheers and thanks,

Mikey 🙏

https://givebutter.com/Walk4Belonging

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Hey!

We are still at it!! 

Announcing the Third Annual Walk for Belonging from Communities of Belonging in support of Second Chance Month... I still serve on the board of directors as both the Treasurer and Secretary, along with IT guy and 'how do we do this?' guy. (donating over 1400 hours last year - yeesh)

A few highlights of the year:

• We are now in 5th year of providing restorative housing to formerly homeless and formerly incarcerated individuals. Offering them a safe supportive environment.
  • We continued weekly Community Meetings - now totally over 300 gatherings.
  • Received approval as an FCS provider (Washington Foundational Community Supports) that will allow us to expand our services to the broader community.
  • Published our new website, and continued to expand our videos on our youtube channel.
  • Along with making many new connections with partners and other providers.

On April 20th we are holding the Walk for Belonging at Green Lake in Seattle.  Yes, I know that 4/20 is Earth Day and Pizza Delivery Driver Appreciation Day, along with other connotations. But, we really like this as a day for our celebration.

wuZxTeq9MB96FxpbA8AkdrsZ5DcNik06uaFUV801

We have setup a GiveButter page and I have established a Team. I always hate to have to ask for support, but you guys have been so generous in the past to me and our cause. You don't have to register if you are not in the area - "No thanks, I would just like to donate" is an option.

https://givebutter.com/Walk4Belonging24/michaelmaddock

I will be walking in memory of Les (bottom left of the collage). A native house member that died suddenly at the end of last year (12/26). It was a huge loss to the house and to all of us in the community. 

Many thanks for reading - and now back to music.

Cheers,

Mikey

• Like 3