The Wire

postjack

It didn't hurt that The Wire dudes did Homicide before, right there in Baltimore. Plugging in the drug trafficking and expanding the social side of the story, was a winning strategy.

Basically they knew how to explode the plot well.

the wire is better then the sopranos, IMO. at times the sopranos stumbled, like it wasn't sure where it wanted to go. to me, this never happens with the wire. everything is so deliberate and just seems right, like it was thoughtfully and painstakingly planned and executed.

I've only watched about 4 episodes of treme. it's wonderful because it's new orleans, and the music and musicians are awesome, but it's nowhere near as plot driven as the wire. it's more like a beautiful painting, while the wire is like a kick ass adventure. beautiful adventure taboot.

I think the wire is helped greatly by it's familiar genre: the cop show. it's just the greatest damn cop show of all time. greatest series of all time for that matter.

Ric, Al

If you could add me to the sneakenetflix queue that would be great :)

It's been on my to do list for too long now - and would be an ideal activity for when the nights start to draw in.

Charlie Brooker had an uncharacteristically high opinion of it - which certainly got my attention.

Which then managed to get him a good gig :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXv3IKfqKmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvhixZyqDbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GVBEN1jSt4

Sure thing Grahame.

Want to quote the above Laura Miller link as I reread today and it's really strong and the arguably opposite of Sopranos...

In a way, it doesn't make sense to talk of "The Wire" as the best American television show because it's not very American. The characters in American popular culture are rarely shown to be subject to forces completely beyond their control. American culture is fundamentally Romantic, individualistic and Christian; when it's not exhorting you to "follow your dream" it's reassuring us that in the eleventh hour, we will be saved. American culture is a perpetual pep talk, trafficking in tales of personal redemption and the ultimate triumph of good over evil. We don't do doom. "The Wire" is not Romantic but classical; what matters most in its universe is fulfilling your duty and facing the inexorable with dignity.

I can't argue that the classical view is superior to the Romantic one; to even introduce the idea that art is meant to nudge us toward moral improvement and social awareness is to concede to Romantic hope. But for some people, in some places, the classical view is more true, and in such cases, the artist's duty is to show us that these lives are no smaller for that. And it is -- as we always, always seem to forget -- not depressing but strangely exhilarating to see this truth about humanity acknowledged for once. It may not be the only truth, but it's a truth all the same.

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...

Al, I'm close. Got Mel interested, so can't watch three episodes every night to complete, but holiday weekend coming up. ;)

You know, it's difficult to compare to The Sopranos. Whether they knew it at the beginning or not, in the end The Sopranos was about something comparatively small - family. No individual episode of The Wire is as good as a dozen (yes, episodic) episodes of the Sopranos, but this scope is so large - an American city - and so unerringly told*, it's without a doubt a grander achievement. It's really something special. I'm not much of a TV watcher, and don't expect to love more than one or two shows a decade, and suspect this is the best I'm going to see for a while. Should anyone out there in Ohio or wherever only get through... say the first two seasons, they really should take a second look.

*Well, besides gender, which they have a few interestingly things to say, but there's little doubt the creative team is entirely male and write the characters as such. Also the early seasons main character, McNulty, is such a fictional cop stereotype he sticks out when everyone else is so carefully juggled.

I love me some season 5 mcnutty. :)

Okay, as I was typing that note, you have me interested in my most disliked character. ;)

Edited by blessingx

I've got the set and you're welcome to borrow, but between two members here who spoke up first, two outside friends and a co-worker I've talked up so much they've requested and a GF catching up on first two seasons, I suspect they're going to be busy for a while.

And done.

Although it definitely got better in the later episodes, the press stuff worked well and it was fun to see Homicide (show) alumni again, season five was the most TV-y in plot device, rediculous execution (characters change to fit storyline) and stretches sold by McCliche therefore was the worst season by far. Bad as in "have I been duped earlier?" bad. Seriously, they blew it here. Still four solid seasons before and a nice wrap-up places this high on televisions list. Just wish their sure hand didn't falter the last year.

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...