The Wire

postjack

OK, so I just finished season 3 of The Wire. This show has continued to impress me. Season 1 was probably the most immediately gripping, but season 2 was also fucking SUPERB, if a bit more complex plot wise and emotionally, and season 3 really provided a lot of closure from loose ends left over in season 3, and for me was the most emotional (yes, I got teary-eyed during the last ten or so minutes, it was really intense. You know like when the bigness of a story just gets to you, and you can't help but have a thousand emotions well up inside? thats what happened). Actually season 3 provides so much closure, I can't wait to see where season 4 takes the story (on dvd this december).

I strongly encourage those who haven't checked out this show to check out season 1, and then seasons 2 and 3. ;D

If for no other reason, its worth it for Omar. :dance:

Pfft season 3. Season 4 is $$. Bring on season 5 biznatches.

i definitely won't even risk posting any spoilers, but how can you "pfft" what happened in the second to last episode of season three?! :o i thought that was huge!

and I loved loved loved season two. Frank Sobotka is one of the most likable characters I've encountered in a TV series or movie. I liked ziggy and nick too.

• 2 years later...
Late to the party, but I just watched The Wire season one, episode one. I've seen bits and pieces over time but now I want to really check it out. Looking forward to more.

forgot I started this thread. IMO The Wire is the greatest television series of all time. enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to grad school in Bal'more. I used to bike from north to east of the city. Let me tell you, despite the fact that I was never really near the developments that are pictured in the series, I got to see my share of characters/interesting situations while biking to and from school. IMHO, this show captures the nature of west/east Baltimore accurately.

The east market is shown a few times (one of them when the Jimmy's son gets lost). I used to get lunch there frequently. That was just a block from school :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is The Shield a poppy drop from The Wire? Have only seen a few episodes but it seemed like every character was constipated.

Sick of waiting on Wire DVDs. Found the box set on half.com for $50. Now midway through second season which seems even better than the first.

Al if you want to borrow the discs when I'm done let me know and I can drop off.

The Sopranos v. The Wire - Which is the Best Show Ever?

story.jpg

Edited by blessingx

There's plenty of arguments for a variety of shows (Mary Tyler Moore, The Simpsons, Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, etc.), but David Chase's The Sopranos was the first show I thought beat David Simon's Homicide for my top spot. Not sure yet (Sopranos at its best is a pretty high mark), but Simon's The Wire may end up beating The Sopranos. C'mon Chase. Step up. Your turn.

Have looked up a few 'Treme reviews and everyone seems to think it's a significant step down for Simon. Don't have HBO so haven't seen. What do you guys think?

I'm a Sopranos fan, but The Wire is far superior.

And, Ric, I loved the 2nd season of The Wire. It's funny because people seem to think it was one of the weaker ones.

EDIT: Just saw that Posty liked Season 2, too. Did anyone NOT like it?

I agree The Wire is better than The Sopranos. I didn't mind (not sure if that is quite up to I enjoyed it) season two, but it was the weak link in the series.

the wire is better then the sopranos, IMO. at times the sopranos stumbled, like it wasn't sure where it wanted to go. to me, this never happens with the wire. everything is so deliberate and just seems right, like it was thoughtfully and painstakingly planned and executed.

I've only watched about 4 episodes of treme. it's wonderful because it's new orleans, and the music and musicians are awesome, but it's nowhere near as plot driven as the wire. it's more like a beautiful painting, while the wire is like a kick ass adventure. beautiful adventure taboot.

I think the wire is helped greatly by it's familiar genre: the cop show. it's just the greatest damn cop show of all time. greatest series of all time for that matter.