The Wire

postjack

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to note (probably again) that Idris Elba, who plays the iconic Stringer Bell, stars in the BBC series "Luther". Probably the best role I've seen of him since The Wire. Prefer the characterization (though not necessarily the actual sub-plots) to the first series of Sherlock. And had no idea he was English until very recently.

[media=]

Massive Attack does the opening track, so you know it's good.

Edited by Kirosia

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I started Season 1 last week and finished it yesterday. Pretty good. I'll start Season 2 this week.

I went to college in Annapolis and spent a lot of time in and around B'more so it was fun to see that part of the country again. Also, being an attorney, the procedural stuff can be fun. A law school classmate of mine was always calling me "McNulty" and now seeing the way he is irreverent towards authority figures I can see why.

I have no idea how they are going to carry the show through 5 seasons but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Edited by TMoney

I have no idea how they are going to carry the show through 5 seasons...

The structure to the series/answer to that question is maybe the most amazing thing of the series.

Anyone have a favorite theme version (which hints at the answer)? Hard to beat Waits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR9_wbTrInI

Season 1, The Blind Boys of Alabama

Season 2, Tom Waits

Season 3, The Neville Brothers

Season 4, DoMaJe

Season 5, Steve Earle

Edited by blessingx

The structure to the series/answer to that question is maybe the most amazing thing of the series.

Anyone have a favorite theme version (which hints at the answer)? Hard to beat Waits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR9_wbTrInI

Season 1, The Blind Boys of Alabama

Season 2, Tom Waits

Season 3, The Neville Brothers

Season 4, DoMaJe

Season 5, Steve Earle

Good question.  Agree that it's hard to beat Waits on this, just for the sheer grit if nothing else.  Thought The Blind Boys really hit it as well, and really liked the harmonica, but might just be because they were first.  So I'd rate The Blind Boys and Waits as a virtual tie.  Steve Earle's version is excellent as well, although perhaps a tad on the upbeat/happy side, so 3rd place.  Then Neville Brothers 4th and DoMaJe 5th, but to be honest I thought they were all worthy and would have been happy with any of them for the whole series.  Rotating them was yet another nice touch to this brilliant series. Will definitely watch it again one day once I'm several years removed from it.

I started Season 1 last week and finished it yesterday. Pretty good. I'll start Season 2 this week.

I went to college in Annapolis and spent a lot of time in and around B'more so it was fun to see that part of the country again. Also, being an attorney, the procedural stuff can be fun. A law school classmate of mine was always calling me "McNulty" and now seeing the way he is irreverent towards authority figures I can see why.

I have no idea how they are going to carry the show through 5 seasons but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Without spoiling anything, every season takes on a different aspect of our culture and its impact on the drug trade and the ensuing socioeconomic consequences. They keep everything very, very fresh, arguably until the 5th season, which is more of a denouement then anything else. Still excellent, and a fitting conclusion, just not on the level of 1-4.

Season 3 used to be my favorite season, but once I watched the series through again season 4 became my favorite. Season 4 is just so devastating, I don't think I fully wrapped my head around it the first go round.

Be forewarned, a lot of people have difficulty moving from season 1 to season 2, because a bunch of new characters are introduced, and a few different settings as well. You still see all your old friends from season 1, but not as often. Just trust me, stick with it and soon you'll be just as attached to the new characters as to the old. 

4 episodes into season 2 and still enjoying it, though not quite as much as the first season. It'll be interesting to see where they go with things. I don't really know what to make of the dockworkers, though that Ziggy kid better get what is coming to him. I miss having DeAngelo being more of a central character. He always kind of felt like a cypher for the audience as he was always easy to understand and sympathize with. After 4 episodes it feels like act one is about to end and the season is ready to move on to act two.

Also, as Ric and others have alluded, the Tom Waits intro a definitely a major plus.

Edited by TMoney

I used to think season 2 was my least favorite, but now I think Season 5 is. Like postjack said, just stay strong and power through season 2. Season 3 and 4 are the best.

Is probably my order. Though at times I want to put 2 ahead of 1, which is crazy talk I know, but especially my second time running through the series, season 2 hit me hard. I love the Sobotkas.

Got through 3 more episodes last night. Season 2 is still decent, but it is taking them way too long to get momentum built up on the main story threads. The pacing could use some work. It is not as tight as season 1.

Man… why'd they have to go and off DeAngelo. I liked that guy!

Seems like they (the writers) took the easy way out from a writers perspective just killing him. I liked the fact that he added an element of tension/complication to the Stringer/Avon storyline. Plus, like I said before, I thought that being somewhat of an outsider he was a great cypher for the audience. Oh well.

Should have seen it coming though, any time a show suddenly makes a character a lot more likable its a good bet that they are about to get off'ed.

Edited by TMoney

Season Two really breaks the bubble of a lot of potential 'they' thoughts - age, race, class, locale ("the streets", Baltimore, US, etc.). Suppose the entire series is about scope, but I think season two really keeps the conversation from getting too comfortable on these issues. 

Haven't seen in a long time and don't want to excuse any pacing problems, but just wanted to state the likely obvious - a pacing change may be appropriate for the "change in scenery."

Currently towards the end of Season 5 (just 3 episodes left to go - maybe finish this weekend).  So far, season 5 is ok but it is certainly one of my least favorites.  I would probably have to rewatch 2 to see if I liked it more or less. 

My current lineup

4 > 3 >> 1 > 2 or 5 (depending on what happens in episodes 8-10 of Season 5)

Edited by shellylh